Recipe Spicy Paprika Beef Stew

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:00 PM
This is a great recipe for a slow cooker (crockpot) but you can cook it in a low oven just as well. I used a Hungarian paprika which is super hot. If you use a mild paprika add some chilli powder (to taste). The mixture of aromatic spices and red wine add a beautiful complexity to the the dish. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

fullsizeoutput_4e29.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
500 g stewing steak, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp hot paprika
10 juniper berries
10 black peppercorns
5 cloves
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Grated nutmeg
250 ml red wine
Salt to taste
7 baby red tomatoes, peeled and halved
Toasted coriander seeds
Chives (or parsley)

Method
  1. Grind the juniper berries, peppercorns and cloves in a pestle and mortar.
  2. Place the ground spices, paprika, sugar and salt in a bowl large enough to hold the beef. Add a generous grating of nutmeg and 100 ml of the wine. Whisk together.
  3. Add the beef and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 24 hours.
  4. If using a slow cooker, place the beef with its marinade in a saucepan and add the rest of the wine and the sugar. Heat through and transfer to the slow cooker. Cook for 3 hrs. Taste the sauce and add salt as required.
  5. If using an oven, heat the oven to 160 C. Place the beef and marinade in a casserole dish (Dutch oven) with the remaining wine Heat through on the hob then cover and cook in the oven for 3 hrs. Taste the sauce and add salt as required.
  6. Ten minutes before the dish finishes cooking, add the tomatoes.
  7. Serve with crème frâiche or soured cream and sprinkle with chopped chives and coriander seeds.

fullsizeoutput_4e1a.jpeg

I'll be trying this recipe. I love me some stew.

Its more of a winter dish I guess...

Must put juniper berries on my list.

They are quite an 'underused' spice in my experience. In fact, many people have never used them. We had a spice challenge once featuring juniper. Will try to find the link.

Its more of a winter dish I guess...

They are quite an 'underused' spice in my experience. In fact, many people have never used them. We had a spice challenge once featuring juniper. Will try to find the link.

I've never cooking with them. Actually, I can't remember ever seeing them in the store. My guess is that I haven't looked in the right place.

This is a great recipe for a slow cooker (crockpot) but you can cook it in a low oven just as well. I used a Hungarian paprika which is super hot. If you use a mild paprika add some chilli powder (to taste). The mixture of aromatic spices and red wine add a beautiful complexity to the the dish. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

View attachment 29810

Ingredients (serves 2)
500 g stewing steak, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp hot paprika
10 juniper berries
10 black peppercorns
5 cloves
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Grated nutmeg
250 ml red wine
Salt to taste
7 baby red tomatoes, peeled and halved
Toasted coriander seeds
Chives (or parsley)

Method
  1. Grind the juniper berries, peppercorns and cloves in a pestle and mortar.
  2. Place the ground spices, paprika, sugar and salt in a bowl large enough to hold the beef. Add a generous grating of nutmeg and 100 ml of the wine. Whisk together.
  3. Add the beef and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 24 hours.
  4. If using a slow cooker, place the beef with its marinade in a saucepan and add the rest of the wine and the sugar. Heat through and transfer to the slow cooker. Cook for 3 hrs. Taste the sauce and add salt as required.
  5. If using an oven, heat the oven to 160 C. Place the beef and marinade in a casserole dish (Dutch oven) with the remaining wine Heat through on the hob then cover and cook in the oven for 3 hrs. Taste the sauce and add salt as required.
  6. Ten minutes before the dish finishes cooking, add the tomatoes.
  7. Serve with crème frâiche or soured cream and sprinkle with chopped chives and coriander seeds.

View attachment 29811

Looks DELISH!! :wink:

I have never seen juniper berries in a grocery store. We get them at a local farmer's market at a spice stand taht also carries many spices not seen in grocery stores.

Back
Top Bottom