Recipe Spicy parsnip & mangetout soup

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:25 PM
In her fascinating book The Flavour Thesaurus, Nicky Segnit writes that the compound 3-sec-butyl-2-methoxypyrazine, which has a slightly musty, green-pea quality is present at higher levels in parsnip than any other vegetable. She suggests pairing parsnips with peas in a winter soup. Here I used mangetout (snow peas) for a bright flavour. You could substitute sugar snap peas. I added some subtle curry spices which always work in parsnip soup.

Ingredients
30g butter
½ a large onion, chopped
2 very large cloves of garlic (or 6 small cloves)
1 thumb of fresh ginger
400g parsnips, peeled and chopped into small chunks
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
2 small hot green chillies, chopped.
155g mangetout (snow peas), roughly chopped
Salt to taste
Lemon juice
Chilli flakes

Method.
  1. Melt the butter in a deep pan (I used a wok). Add the chopped onion and fry gently until softened.
  2. Grate the garlic and ginger into the pan (I use a microplane). Cook for a few minutes and then add the spices and chilli. Cook for a further few minutes.
  3. Add the chopped parsnips plus 400ml of water (I use boiling water). Bring to simmering point and cook until the parsnips are tender. This will take approximately 15- 20 minutes.
  4. Add the chopped mangetout plus 200ml of water. Bring to simmering point and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  5. Blend the soup until smooth. I used a stick blender, straight into the pan. If the texture is too thick, add a little more water and heat through.
  6. Add salt to taste and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with red chill flakes

Nicky Segnit is a genius...I refer to her Flavor Thesaurus periodically, but this is really an inspired interpretation, pairing parsnips (which I know you love) with peas. I see you didn't need to pass it through a strainer, and you didn't mention removing the peas from the pods, so the pod must have softened sufficiently to support a puree?

Nicky Segnit is a genius...I refer to her Flavor Thesaurus periodically, but this is really an inspired interpretation, pairing parsnips (which I know you love) with peas. I see you didn't need to pass it through a strainer, and you didn't mention removing the peas from the pods, so the pod must have softened sufficiently to support a puree?

I refer to Nicky a lot. Its such a joy to read as its so witty and wise.

I didn't pass the soup - and yes I used the pods. Mangetout are pretty well all pod (not a lot of pea inside) but they are young and tender. I think I also have a good stick blender, which helps.

In her fascinating book The Flavour Thesaurus, Nicky Segnit writes that the compound 3-sec-butyl-2-methoxypyrazine, which has a slightly musty, green-pea quality is present at higher levels in parsnip than any other vegetable. She suggests pairing parsnips with peas in a winter soup. Here I used mangetout (snow peas) for a bright flavour. You could substitute sugar snap peas. I added some subtle curry spices which always work in parsnip soup.

View attachment 59276

Ingredients
30g butter
½ a large onion, chopped
1 thumb of fresh ginger
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Lemon juice
Chilli flakes

Method.
  1. Melt the butter in a deep pan (I used a wok). Add the chopped onion and fry gently until softened.
  2. Grate the garlic and ginger into the pan (I use a microplane). Cook for a few minutes and then add the spices and chilli. Cook for a further few minutes.
  3. Add the chopped parsnips plus 400ml of water (I use boiling water). Bring to simmering point and cook until the parsnips are tender. This will take approximately 15- 20 minutes.
  4. Add the chopped mangetout plus 200ml of water. Bring to simmering point and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  5. Blend the soup until smooth. I used a stick blender, straight into the pan. If the texture is too thick, add a little more water and heat through.
  6. Add salt to taste and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with red chill flakes
View attachment 59277

View attachment 59278
Exquisite

Russ

View attachment 59276

Ingredients
30g butter
½ a large onion, chopped
1 thumb of fresh ginger
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Lemon juice
Chilli flakes

Method.
View attachment 59277

View attachment 59278
Exquisite

Russ

Back
Top Bottom