Olive oil, for roasting
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 bunch of coriander, chopped
1 tbsp Aleppo pepper
Salt, to taste

Method:

Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6

Roast the potatoes with olive oil and salt for about 30 minutes or until they are a nice golden brown colour.

Meanwhile, quickly fry the garlic, chillies and half the coriander. Once the potatoes are ready, mix the fried ingredients with the potatoes, the ground Aleppo pepper and the rest of the coriander.

[From: Syria: Recipes from Home by Itab Azzam and Dina Mousawi]

Spicy Potatoes

2 chillies, deseeded and finely chopped

I once cooked a chilli con carne in a neighbour's house for a party she was giving. Before I arrived, she had prepared some of the ingredients and had painstakingly removed all the seeds from a dozen or so chillies. Luckily she hadn't discarded the seeds so I threw them all back in the mix.

I intend to try this but without deseeding the chillies. Also I don't have Aleppo pepper (although I have visited the city) so would it be acceptable to use ground dried Thai chillies maybe with a little ground cumin?

Last edited:
I once cooked a chilli con carne in a neighbour's house for a party she was giving. Before I arrived, she had prepared some of the ingredients and had painstakingly removed all the seeds from a dozen or so chillies. Luckily she hadn't discarded the seeds so I threw them all back in the mix.

I intend to try this but without deseeding the chillies. Also I don't have Aleppo pepper (although I have visited the city) so would it be acceptable to use ground dried Thai chillies maybe with a little ground cumin?
I don't deseed chillies either. As for Aleppo pepper, I used a 50/50 mix of hot chilli powder and smoked paprika. There are several suggestions on the internet.

So you like heat? I'm not a fan, but my kids are!

Russ

This is what I add to 2 kg of minced (ground) beef to cook Chilli Con Carne (plus 3 - 4 teaspoons of cayenne pepper or chilli powder).

Very hot but not mind blowingly so.

Wow, man that's massive. I could handle maybe two chillies. My son would love it, he has no barriers.

Russ

I had a go today; 400 gms spuds (2), 3 chillis, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 tsp black pepper and ½ tsp cumin. The spices were not overpowering although left a lingering taste. Very pleasant. I will add the recipe to my site and cook them again.

I initially thought they were a little overcooked but they were close to perfect.

Back
Top Bottom