1/2 teaspoon Aleppo/Pul Biber chil(l)i​
200 ml unsweetened almond milk​
150 g/ml (2/3 cup) crème fraîche​
✧ ~530 g (1.17 lb) chicken fillets​
2 teaspoons thyme​
2 teaspoons smoked paprika​
1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper​

Instructions

Cut all vegetables into tiny bits/slivers and squeeze the lime juice. Stir-fry the vegetables (excluding garlic) on medium-high heat in 2 tablespoons of evoo for 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic, lime juice, sugar, mango powder, celery seeds, parsley, coriander and sumac and fry for ~10 minutes more; at the end, the carrots and cabbage should still have some mouthfeel. Add the crème fraîche, 100 ml almond milk, lime juice and some salt, let sizzle for 2-3 minutes and take aside. Pound the chicken fillets slightly thinner e.g. in a sturdy plastic bag with a meat mallet. Mix 3 tablespoons evoo, thyme, smoked paprika and black pepper, rub the fillets with the mixture and fry the chicken bits on medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes per side (or until done) and season with salt. Cut the fillets into slivers and mix the chicken with the vegetable mix. Add 100 ml almond milk and cook for 2-3 minutes further. Serve with e.g. tortillas, potatoes or rice.

kike_a.png

kike_5.jpg

Last edited:
This looks appetizing. Is "stewed" a word that is used differently in Finland? I thought it always involved some kind of liquid. It's usually thicker than a soup.

This looks appetizing. Is "stewed" a word that is used differently in Finland? I thought it always involved some kind of liquid. It's usually thicker than a soup.
Thanks. :rolleyes: I think the word is used quite similarly in Finland. "Stew" is mostly translated as "hauduttaa" or "muhennos" here. The verb "hauduttaa"; "to stew" means to cook something with or in liquid - usually for a reasonably long period of time. It can also mean cooking/frying/braising something a bit faster (like in this case) and then poaching/braising the product/-s in some kind of liquid. The noun "stew" is mainly translated as "muhennos" which is a dish that's thicker than soup. This dish is fairly dry but it contains 150 g/ml (2/3 cup) crème fraìche (which isn't technically a liquid but contains moisture) and 200 ml almond milk which is liquid. The former title "Stewed Chicken" is now "Stewed Vegetables With Chicken". Maybe I could have invented a better and more accurate name for this dish but... - well - I didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjd
I'm still struggling a bit to imagine how this recipe works. It begins as a stir fry with the vegetables (cut small) and then crème frâiche and almond milk are added. The chicken also gets fried and cut in strips and added to the vegetables with more almond milk. There are lots of flavours going on here - sweet and sour in particular. Its the use of creme frâiche and milk with sweet and sour which I'm finding a little confusing.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work - I'd really have to make it to know!

I'm still struggling a bit to imagine how this recipe works. It begins as a stir fry with the vegetables (cut small) and then crème frâiche and almond milk are added. The chicken also gets fried and cut in strips and added to the vegetables with more almond milk. There are lots of flavours going on here - sweet and sour in particular. Its the use of creme frâiche and milk with sweet and sour which I'm finding a little confusing.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work - I'd really have to make it to know!
The crème fraîche was added mainly because we were using the mix in tortillas. Crème fraîche - the sourness of which doesn't interfere with sweet'n'sour flavors as much as one might think - makes a sort of "savory yoghurt/Lassi" with mango powder and added sugar. Cabbage, on the other hand, is also sour/acerbic. Cabbage works with syrupy additions in e.g. cabbage-meat stews and rolls, caramelized cabbage puff pastries and pickled salads. This was an exploration (due to having two packs of cabbage and carrot mix in the fridge). I like to challenge the "simple is beautiful" principle, as sweeping as it is. I crave for BBQ- or cajun type food and complex spice mixes from time to time. This was a bit lame despite all the spices - maybe because of the vast amount of cabbage.

Back
Top Bottom