Recipe Stuffed sweet peppers

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:42 PM
20231017_184334.jpg

Any color bell pepper can be used. I just happen to prefer red.

INGREDIENTS

3 medium sweet bell peppers, red, orange or yellow
1/2 cup wild rice blend
1 cup water
2 tsp olive oil
2/3 to 3/4 pound ground round
1 cup chopped onion
5 to 6 ounces brown mushrooms, roughly chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 cup hearty red wine
1/2 cup beef broth
6 tsp worchestershire sauce, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 to 1/2 cup blue cheese

DIRECTIONS

Blacken pepper skin, rest for 15 minutes, and peel bell peppers. We use a plumber's torch to blacken as the bell pepper walls stay more firm. They can also be blackened under the oven broiler. After the peppers cool, remove the blackened skin. Cut around the top of the peppers, remove stem, and clean out remaining seeds and large veins. Set aside.

Place the water and 1/8 cup red wine in a small saucepan, plus salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes until rice is tender. Cool.

In small baking dish with fairly high walls, place the beef broth, 1/2 cup wine and 3 tsp worchestershire sauce. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium high heat, add the oil, heat for a few minutes, swirl, add ground beef and cook until almost done, breaking the beef up as it cooks, reducing heat as needed to keep from sticking and burning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onions and cook until almost done. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, add garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add remainder of wine and 3 tsp worchestershire sauce. Cook for several minutes until wine is slightly reduced and most of alcohol is burned off. Set side to cool.

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the rice and meat mixture, and mix in the cheese. Stuff the peppers and place in the baking dish. Cover. Place in the oven for 35 minutes until heated through. Use remaining liquid as a thin sauce to drizzle if desired. Serve.

Can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to come to room temperature and bake as above OR bake an extra 10-15 minutes if still cold so the peppers warm through.

I really like the way you blacken and remove the pepper skins for these stuffed peppers. Also, the wild rice mix is cooked in red wine. I've never thought of doing that and I'm sure it adds a lot of flavour. Oh - and blue cheese! This is no ordinary stuffed pepper recipe.

Back
Top Bottom