The avocado debate

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:37 AM
I'm not sure when avocado became trendy or 'hip' or well, just everywhere on menus in the Western world. In particular, on breakfast/brunch menus.
The fruit is incredibly excited and often makes an appearance in a smashed form on toast, next to a Bellini at the hippest brunch spot on any millennials Instagram profile.
The Top 10 Most Divisive Food Debates - My Home Chef

I never used to like avocado. Its sort of bland and sweetish with a weird smooth texture. Lately, I've learned to like it a bit, mainly along with other ingredients in salads. It needs a sharp and acidic partner (or two) in my opinion.

How do you feel about avocados and why?

If I were Supreme Poohbah of the Known Universe, the first thing I’d do is have avocados obliterated.

Then I’d get a handle on the whole socks-with-sandals thing. :headshake:
So this is something against Aussies? Lol.

I was non-plussed about avocados until I came to Australia ones in the UK are yuck. Australian. ones (along with passionfruit) are gorgeous. I for one, don't mind them cropping up on menus everywhere and love the fact I can add more to my meal if I want to... I'll now copy this post to the avocado post so the debate can continue there...

Last edited:
I like Avocados but the price has gotten crazy stupid expensive.
I just can't pay $1.25 USD for one measly piece of fruit :stop:
Here in Cowboyville Arizona, Avocado Toast has just made it's appearance in only one place that I know of.
It exists in the kitchens of most millenials, LOL.

Avocados are very much like holiday foods where if you take them out of their natural environment, they simply don't taste the same. In the UK, they are bland, often hard and inedible. Here in Australia they have flavour, they grow so many of them they are cheaper though right now they are AUD $2 (USD1.4) each but they are large, not small and great to eat. Personally I have no issues paying that for 1 or 2 a week. That's 2 servings per avo...

Passionfruit are similar. I never thought much of them when I lived in the UK. But since moving to Australia, wow the difference in taste and flavour is amazing. I get them cheap from the "odd jobs" or "irregulars" section of the supermarket and they are still amazing.

Oranges out of season are exactly the same. Fresh off a tree, they are wonderful. I still hate oranges though, except for that short time in winter/early spring when they are wonderful. The rest of the time they can take a running jump.

And don't even start me on bananas. Why does everything dairy free have to be banana bread this or have a banana added? To do what exactly?

I love chai made in Turkey, we even took some back to the UK with us, but despite knowing how to make it properly, it never quite tasted the same. I stopped drinking it after a few months. It just didn't have the same appeal as when it was readily available at the roadside or in a petrol station, the pharmacy, the police station (it was a long standing joke that the police often pulled us over just to offer us chai and to talk in English to us. As it would happen we'd be discussing how many glasses of chai we'd have veggie making or excuses! )

I want to share this article from Hawaii Avocado Association:

Hawaii's avocado varieties

Almost every yard in Hawaii has an Avocado tree in it.
I like the Kahaluu variety best. Nice and creamy, full of flavor, unlike the one I can get here.

It exists in the kitchens of most millenials, LOL.
I can't confirm this at all. Seems to me that it's a boomer myth, most millenials can't afford such luxury. Do you have any idea how expensive avocados are here? Steak is often just as costly. Going by my friends though, I guess I am ' honorary gen x ', or ' xennial ' so what do I know :laugh:

Me exempted because my husband is gen X. But I don't like avocado toast. Sometimes I make guacamole, but that's it.

Last edited:
I feel about avocados about the same way as I feel about hammers. There are times when a hammer is exactly what I need, but most of the time hammers don't even cross my mind.

I'll go with that. I'm not going to eat a diced avocado, and I'm not going to pay 10 bucks for avocado toast with a double-shot latte. I'm okay with dipping some chips into a good, fresh guacamole.

CD

IMG_1337.JPG

Not even 4 inches and this cost me $1.25 USD!!!

IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG

I got two meals out it, I wasn't going to waste a bit of it!

Back
Top Bottom