The avocado debate

View attachment 85956
View attachment 85957
These were the Avocado Egg Rolls I had some years back.
Seems like they had diced Avo, Tomato, Lime juice, Cilantro and Jalapeno.
I don't know what the dipping sauce is but it was good.

The Avocado Fries/Crips are simply wedges of Avo coated in I think Panko and deep fried, YUM
It sounds really good!

I had avocado egg rolls at a restaurant called BJ's Brewhouse some years ago. They were decent but the avo browned upon cooking and I don't like seeing the oxidation. The picture on their website looks much more appealing than the food I received.
Avocado Egg Rolls | Menu
The ingredients are as follows, according to the website:
Avocado | cream cheese | sun-dried tomatoes | red onions | cilantro | chipotle peppers | sweet tamarind dipping sauce

But it really doesn't matter much since we don't go out and I am unlikely to take the time and trouble to make these myself.

We have avocado at least a couple of times a week. Husband doesn’t like them except as guacamole but the kids love them in everything but especially in sandwiches & wraps and of course on toast with an egg, crumbled feta, chilli flakes and maybe a few rocket leaves.

I have a horror of cooked avo. Tastes disgusting.

I don’t mind it warm - one of my favourite ways to eat it is spread very generously on toasted focaccia, topped with crispy bacon and them a thick slice of Swiss cheese & grilled until the cheese melts.

An Italian (ish) place I worked back in the 90’s used to fill the seed cavity of half a large avo with some sort of chopped prawn mix then top with a fat slice of fresh mozzarella and grill briefly. It was a very popular entree.

If you’re wondering how I know how disgusting cooked avo is - a hotel I worked in had a South American food festival (also 1990’s) and there was a delicious chilled avo soup on the set/deg menu. The sous asked one of the 2nd year apprentice to make a batch and she missed a step - adding the flesh of 50 avocados to the boiling stock & blending it. 🤮

The recipe was

Make a rich vegetable stock with plenty of bay leaves and then some fresh oregano right at the end. Strain & chill.

Blend vegetable stock, avocado flesh, sour cream and fresh lime juice. Serve garnished with smashed tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream.

Last edited:
? I've lost the plot!
The terminology for chips/crisps regarding avocado chips/crisps is interchangeable. In the US, most of the time chips refer to either potato chips or potato chips. I don't think I have ever seen either of these salty snacks referred to as crisps in the US. However, with avocado "chips" they are often referred to as "crisps" as well. So no depth to the plot, really, LOL!

This has been an interesting thread! In Jamaica, we've been eating Avocado (most Jamaicans just call them "pears" or "avocado pear") on harddough bread or between two slices of bread for as long as I can remember. Certainly long before the Avocado Toast craze. We also serve slices of it on the side of many dishes, or we'll just slice one up and serve it when we have one ripe.

The only reason I don't buy them more often here in FL is that I always have a problem judging when they will be at optimal ripeness. Its always a game of roulette with Avocados: I'm not ripe yet, I'm not ripe yet, I might be ripe, nevermind I have spoiled! 🤬

Avocados are divine. I love them with a passion. Not those grotty little excuses for avocado you get in the supermarket, but these you can see in the pictures:

View attachment 85867

View attachment 85868
There are many varieties of avocado in Venezuela; some can weigh in at as much as a kilo and a half. They can be long and pointed, like the first ones, round-ish or round like an apple. Some (specifically ones I´ve found in the rain forests) will sit in the palm of your hand and, when ripe, are nutty and buttery.

The ones that turn that reddish brown when ripe are delicious. We had a tree in the backyard of a short term house rental while our new home was being built.

The only reason I don't buy them more often here in FL is that I always have a problem judging when they will be at optimal ripeness. Its always a game of roulette with Avocados: I'm not ripe yet, I'm not ripe yet, I might be ripe, nevermind I have spoiled! 🤬

That's weird, I hardly ever have a problem picking out avos. My saying is "I'm not ripe yet, I'm not ripe yet , maybe I'm getting ripe, oops it's cold and dark in here." They will finish ripening in the refrigerator. You can also pop them in the freezer, whole or peeled and smashed.

I have a friend who gets them free from avocado tree owners during season, let's them ripen, then mashes and adds salt and pepper, portions and freezes, then bags the mounds and pulls 1 or 2 out to eat at a time. She LOVES avocados.

Avos have to be ripe or they are just awful. I once ordered a Cobb salad at a restaurant and what they served me was disgusting. Hard as a rock and tasted like what I imagine plastic fruit would taste like. Told them I couldn't believe they would serve something like that.

Last edited:
Yes, I should have clarified that statement with "US millenials" as I have no idea what's going on in the kitchens of most European millenials. But I've said more than once you are exceptional! And not just because you are European :highfive: Oh, and steak is costly here as well and we don't eat much of it these days as a result, unless I can find a great sale going on.

But in the US avocado toast is highly common with millenials and is not a myth. And yes, avocados here are expensive too, but I am sure not as costly as there since we aren't that far from Mexico. They did go up quite a bit over the last year due to some trade issues, but I don't want to get into the politics of that. Many of the people that fall into that age range here spend like crazy, even when they can't afford it. Sigh.
I just think it's odd to be seen as the 'good millenial', I don't think in terms of good or bad boomers or any generation. I've pointed it out because I saw it (millenials doing this or that) mentioned on these boards more than a few times. I try to look at the behaviour, not the generation or age of a person to judge their qualities.

Avocados have only recently become common in stores here, that might have had to do with it. Only since eating a more planet concious diet has become popular, avocados are suddenly all the rage. Which is ironic because they're the major reason of drought in south America.

Back
Top Bottom