The avocado debate

Going by my friends though, I guess I am ' honorary gen x ', or ' xennial ' so what do I know :laugh:
On behalf of Generation X, allow me to welcome you to the club. Please, have a seat next to me, and we can just relax and enjoy a refreshing Crystal Pepsi while the Boomers and Millennials fight to the death over who’s more entitled! :laugh:

I never had it until grandkids loved it. Especially in wraps. So I tried it about 5? Years ago and liked it a lot. My wife hates it so wont buy it. So I'm screwed. If I know I have a meal coming up I will buy one.
My wife wont buy what she doesn't doesn't like. I've recently told her to put shrooms every now and then for me.

Russ

That's a very good reason, they're quite the drain on the environment. Anyone who wants to know more should watch the documentary 'rotten' from Netflix.
Generally I don't put much faith in documentaries simply because they're normally biased and either make up facts based on loose translations or interpretation of scientific data and cheery pick data that supports their agenda, but I will have a look, thanks.

Avocados are divine. I love them with a passion. Not those grotty little excuses for avocado you get in the supermarket, but these you can see in the pictures:

There are many varieties of avocado in Venezuela; some can weigh in at as much as a kilo and a half. They can be long and pointed, like the first ones, round-ish or round like an apple. Some (specifically ones I´ve found in the rain forests) will sit in the palm of your hand and, when ripe, are nutty and buttery.

There´s one big problem with avocados, however: they don´t cook well, so they need to be eaten raw . I´ve made salmon pasta and just added some avocado on top - that works. Guacamole, that eternal favourite , is best made by just mashing the avocado with a fork; they´re so soft that they mash very easily. I personally think blitzing the fruit in a blender changes the texture too much and even affects the flavour. A Restaurant near my house in Venezuela makes something they call a "Mediterranean Salad": avocado, red peppers, tomatoes, red onions, mayonnaise, cooked prawns, grilled courgettes/zucchini.
Have they become trendy? I´ve had smashed avocado with poached eggs, or spread on sourdough in London. Seems like everyone´s got a "smashed avocado" on their menus.

Have they become trendy? I´ve had smashed avocado with poached eggs, or spread on sourdough in London. Seems like everyone´s got a "smashed avocado" on their menus.

Yeah - they got trendy ages ago. Now they are on many UK menus because they are a vegan breakfast/brunch option, I think.

Yeah - they got trendy ages ago. Now they are on many UK menus because they are a vegan breakfast/brunch option, I think.
Smashed avo on toast was invented by Bill Grainger at his cafe in Sydney. We went there for brunch on our honeymoon, I did not have the avo, it is the Devil's snot as far as I'm concerned.

Bill Granger: 'Godfather' of avocado toast

When I have avocado it's usually chopped into bean & green leaf salad. To me it's not something I enjoy eating on its own as it seems to taste like a savoury banana, but hidden in a salad with basil and coriander leaves it ads a bit of texture.

I can't confirm this at all. Seems to me that it's a boomer myth, most millenials can't afford such luxury. Do you have any idea how expensive avocados are here? Steak is often just as costly. Going by my friends though, I guess I am ' honorary gen x ', or ' xennial ' so what do I know :laugh:

Me exempted because my husband is gen X. But I don't like avocado toast. Sometimes I make guacamole, but that's it.
Yes, I should have clarified that statement with "US millenials" as I have no idea what's going on in the kitchens of most European millenials. But I've said more than once you are exceptional! And not just because you are European :highfive: Oh, and steak is costly here as well and we don't eat much of it these days as a result, unless I can find a great sale going on.

But in the US avocado toast is highly common with millenials and is not a myth. And yes, avocados here are expensive too, but I am sure not as costly as there since we aren't that far from Mexico. They did go up quite a bit over the last year due to some trade issues, but I don't want to get into the politics of that. Many of the people that fall into that age range here spend like crazy, even when they can't afford it. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom