The avocado debate

That's weird, I hardly ever have a problem picking out avos. My saying is "I'm not ripe yet, I'm not ripe yet , maybe I'm getting ripe, oops it's cold and dark in here." They will finish ripening in the refrigerator. You can also pop them in the freezer, whole or peeled and smashed.
Avocados are one of the few (if any) fruits which do not ripen on the tree. You need to pick them and leave them for about 4-7 days. If you don´t pick them, they´ll fall off the tree because of the weight and bruise.
Avocados have only recently become common in stores here, that might have had to do with it. Only since eating a more planet concious diet has become popular, avocados are suddenly all the rage. Which is ironic because they're the major reason of drought in south America.
Whilst many areas of Perú and Mexico are now use for avocado plantations, no way are they the major reason for drought in South America. To name but a few:
  • indiscriminate felling of rain forests
  • wild highway construction with inadequate drainage
  • over-farming of arable land
  • indiscriminate construction of slums
  • inadequate management of natural resources
  • inadequate provisions for potable water
  • politicians who think they are God when they´re actually S***

Avocados are one of the few (if any) fruits which do not ripen on the tree. You need to pick them and leave them for about 4-7 days. If you don´t pick them, they´ll fall off the tree because of the weight and bruise.

Whilst many areas of Perú and Mexico are now use for avocado plantations, no way are they the major reason for drought in South America. To name but a few:
  • indiscriminate felling of rain forests
  • wild highway construction with inadequate drainage
  • over-farming of arable land
  • indiscriminate construction of slums
  • inadequate management of natural resources
  • inadequate provisions for potable water
  • politicians who think they are God when they´re actually S***
Autocorrect had removed ' one of the ' in the sentence referring to major reasons.

Not sure why you are directing this to me because:

A. I never wrote they did.
B. If you had read my post, I stated we had experience with a tree in our backyard, actually 3 different avo trees in 3 different backyards, I just didn't mention the other 2 since I was writing about the variety that turns a dark brick red when ripe.

That's weird, I hardly ever have a problem picking out avos. My saying is "I'm not ripe yet, I'm not ripe yet , maybe I'm getting ripe, oops it's cold and dark in here." They will finish ripening in the refrigerator.
You talked about avocados ripening; I merely added some extra comments. I read your post very carefully because I´ve got avocado trees in my garden as well. My comment was simply additional information.

are one of the few (if any) fruits which do not ripen on the tree.
Pears are another. They do ripen to a point on the tree but they are actually better, have a better flavour and are much sweeter if they are picked and allowed to ripen off the tree.
(I've a pear tree or 4 in the garden).

I'm a big fan of guacamole. It never seems worth the cost to buy the avocados full-price at the market: I usually have to let the rock-hard grenades ripen for a while before I can use them. Plus, if I wait a bit, Kroger will put reduced-price avocados out, typically 99 cents for a bag of 5 or 6 of them. They'll be overly ripe, but there will be plenty of good green flesh for my guacamole needs.

Guacamole is a blend of avocados, onions, peppers, lime juice, cilantro, and other seasonings....the avocado is a blank canvas, more or less, the way that plain mayo gets blended with hot sauce to make a spicy mayo.

And, as with spicy mayo, guacamole isn't something I have by itself. It's always an accessory to burritos, tacos, and chips.

I suppose, in this case, asking if I like avocados is a bit like asking if I like plain pasta with nothing on it, or plain chips with no dip. There's just not enough there for it to hold my interest.

Now, about avocado toast. Just plain avocado on toast is mildly interesting to me. I find that I'll take a bite, think about it for a moment, then want to add something to complete the flavor of the next bite. There's just not enough there to hold my interest. Guacamole toast? Sure. But, if I'm doing that, I'll want to get another piece of toast, and slide some meats and other vegetables between them. And, if I'm doing that, I might as well just make a burrito or a taco.

Back
Top Bottom