The Cookbook Game #1

I'd love to participate but have a few points/ queries.

1, like many, I plan my meals a week in advance and buy the ingredients on a Saturday, Australian time, Friday most others time.
2. My cookbooks are not all vertical. Photo supplied to show what I mean. Do I continue numbers bottom to top or top to bottom?
Do I include my homemade cookbook? It has recipes in it, numbered by page, but some pages have more than one recipe. It's known as the BBB or The Big Blue Book in this house...

Finally, as always, recipes should be put onto the site as new threads and links to the posted here. It would also be really helpful if comments taking the recipe could be posted with the recipe and either copied here (or quoted here if you're crafty, use the quote feature, sometimes it will take a quote across threads using the multiquote feature automatically and if it doesn't, just use the normal quote or reply then cut and paste everything from one reply box to the reply box here. Normally we don't allow this but I think here it will be fine. )

My cookbook range holds 40 books including my BBB. Only 4 I have not cooked from. 3 if those are books that came with kitchen appliances. The other sounded great but in reality we're no so sure now we can see the recipes (Japanese vegan cooking).

20190805_083355.jpg

Book 14 is one if 2 books depending on if BBB is included or not.

SO my BBB is setup like this.
20190805_083722.jpg 20190805_083822.jpg

Book 14 is either of these two
20190805_083651.jpg

Sweet Bones: The Cookbook by Emily and Russell Brindley. The run tbe excellent vegan cafe in Braddon, Canberra by the same name. It was set up a number of years ago by crowdfunding. It is usually packed out indoor and outside all year round.

If my BBB isn't to be included, then it's the Tofushop Cookbook by Louis & Georgia Green. They are also a cafe plus shop, not vegan or even vegetarian but with a considerable amount that is. They make all of their own tofu on site. They've been going for a very long time, since 1982, and are to be found in Melbourne, Victoria.

I'm going to disappoint you all and tell you that I have cooked from both books previously (both books have been purchased in the last 12 months as well).

Last edited:
I plan to go to Connecticut Wednesday or Thursday (to check on the house for sale, and I need to pick up a couple things there anyway). They have far better fish down there - that's when I'll get the red snapper for my recipe. I'll make it either Thursday or Friday as I will be off at a conference over the weekend. I do appreciate a reason to get really good fish, so I am looking forward to making this - but my recipe requires a slice of Italian bread. (I buy bread about three or four times a year!) I guess I have to make an exception... there is, however, a great bakery of real breads on the route down.

I'll follow the recipe as exactly as I can - it serves four, so I'll be splitting it in half. I'm one person, and I can eat the second serving for breakfast before attending that conference.

I'm actually getting a bit stoked about it...

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Hi, first, thank you again for letting me play my game here.
Second, what do we call you?
Third, you can number your books any way you want. Re: your BBB book. If it is recipes that you already have made, it doesn't count. Sorry, but recipes have to be new to you. Hope that answers all your questions.

I plan to go to Connecticut Wednesday or Thursday (to check on the house for sale, and I need to pick up a couple things there anyway). They have far better fish down there - that's when I'll get the red snapper for my recipe. I'll make it either Thursday or Friday as I will be off at a conference over the weekend. I do appreciate a reason to get really good fish, so I am looking forward to making this - but my recipe requires a slice of Italian bread. (I buy bread about three or four times a year!) I guess I have to make an exception... there is, however, a great bakery of real breads on the route down.

I'll follow the recipe as exactly as I can - it serves four, so I'll be splitting it in half. I'm one person, and I can eat the second serving for breakfast before attending that conference.

I'm actually getting a bit stoked about it...
lol, glad you are. Looking forward to your recipe. Have a safe trip.

This is what DH will be making for the cooking game #1

Lemon Shrimp
serves 2 to 4

1 lb. large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 TB. oil
Sweet and Sour Lemon Sauce (recipe to follow)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven to 325F. Butterfly the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate until 5 minutes before cooking. Spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 8 minutes.

Place a wok over high heat. When the wok is very hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn slightly pink, about 2 min. Pour in the sauce and stir and toss until the sauce glazes the food, about 30 seconds. Stir in the cilantro and pine nuts.

Sweet and Sour Lemon Sauce

1 TB. grated lemon zest
1 TB. finely minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 TB. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 TB. thin soy sauce
2 TB. honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. Asian chile sauce

Source: "Wok Fast" - Hugh Carpenter and Teri Sandison

What is very interesting about this book, in the front are 18 other sauce/marinade recipes. They say that all sauce and marinade recipes are interchangeable and can be used with any recipe in the book that calls for sauce or marinade. Looks like the possibilities are unlimited for something different for quite a long while.

I hope you all find out something just as good about your cookbook for the week. If it wasn't for this game, this cookbook might have sat there for years to come without being used.

Last edited:
Damn...all I'm doing is mixing cream cheese and spinach and stuff and throwing it in a bread bowl. :)

Ok, I'll make the bread from scratch instead of going to the bakery.

So yummy! I haven't had that for a long time.

Wondering where you were Mama. lol Been waiting for you.

My day has been crazy! Flying solo with the kiddos. I have 6 boxes of cookbooks to unpack. Yes, most are still packed because we are in transition right now. I have about 20 on my shelf, that's a good number to work with. I'll number them tomorrow and decide a recipe.

My day has been crazy! Flying solo with the kiddos. I have 6 boxes of cookbooks to unpack. Yes, most are still packed because we are in transition right now. I have about 20 on my shelf, that's a good number to work with. I'll number them tomorrow and decide a recipe.
My goodness, 6 boxes. How many children do you have?

This is what DH will be making for the cooking game #1

Lemon Shrimp
serves 2 to 4

1 lb. large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 TB. oil
Sweet and Sour Lemon Sauce (recipe to follow)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven to 325F. Butterfly the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate until 5 minutes before cooking. Spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 8 minutes.

Place a wok over high heat. When the wok is very hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn slightly pink, about 2 min. Pour in the sauce and stir and toss until the sauce glazes the food, about 30 seconds. Stir in the cilantro and pine nuts.

Sweet and Sour Lemon Sauce

1 TB. grated lemon zest
1 TB. finely minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 TB. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 TB. thin soy sauce
2 TB. honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. Asian chile sauce

Source: "Wok Fast" - Hugh Carpenter and Teri Sandison

What is very interesting about this book, in the front are 18 other sauce/marinade recipes. They say that all sauce and marinade recipes are interchangeable and can be used with any recipe in the book that calls for sauce or marinade. Looks like the possibilities are unlimited for something different for quite a long while.

I hope you all find out something just as good about your cookbook for the week. If it wasn't for this game, this cookbook might have sat there for years to come without being used.
can you post this recipe as a new thread please then link to here, same as with the other recipe competitions and things like what did you eat today etc.. if recipes end up in long threads like this, they get lost and can't be found again. They also don't benefit the site tbe same way new threads do.

Back
Top Bottom