The CookingBites Cookalong: Deep Fried Eggs

I was convinced they were the same thing. What is the difference?
I believe it is the actual chickpea used that is the difference.

OK, confirmed. It is as a thought. Gram flour and besan flour are the same thing. They are both made from Kala Chana which is the dark brown chickpea. Chickpea flour is made from the light skinned version. They are closely related to each other, but as I am sure you are aware, are technically not the same thing. The major difference is the volume of water needed, which is slightly less with Besan flour than it is with chickpea flour. In the English language, however, the terms are interchangeable, hence the confusion.

I forgot to post this one here - I posted it in 'What did you cook today', I think:

This is the monster tater tot with a runny egg in the centre and kataifi pastry. Inspired by a suggestion from @buckytom.

fullsizeoutput_32bd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_32c2.jpeg

51F184EB-3378-4CB0-893F-8CDEC76477B9.jpeg

Air fried egg. I know this was disallowed earlier on, but I decided to try it anyway. It’s a bit absurd, but I got it to work. I put oil in an empty butter spray container, sprayed the exterior with the equivalent of 1/3 of a teaspoon of oil, and this is how it looked after five minutes in the air fryer. Only 125 calories doing it this way.

I still didn’t get the runny yolk I wanted, but this time I think I’ll be OK with that. It was very tasty and had a nice crunch.

Last edited:
View attachment 16097

Air fried egg. I know this was disallowed earlier on, but I decided to try it anyway. It’s a bit absurd, but I got it to work. I put oil in an empty butter spray container, sprayed the exterior with the equivalent of 1/3 of a teaspoon of oil, and this is how it looked after five minutes in the air fryer. Only 125 calories doing it this way.

I still didn’t get the runny yolk I wanted, but this time I think I’ll be OK with that. It was very tasty and had a nice crunch.

It wasn't disallowed. :laugh: I think I just said I doubted it would work very well. It seems I'll have to eat my words - although I'd rather eat your egg!

Was the lack of runny yolk due to the length of time in the air-fryer?

Sorry, I've been away for a while thus not joined in this Cookalong. I know the deadline has been a bit flexible, so I will attempt an entry over the course of this weekend.

Sorry, I've been away for a while thus not joined in this Cookalong. I know the deadline has been a bit flexible, so I will attempt an entry over the course of this weekend.

Please do! Its flexible until I tie off the thread - which won't be until Monday. I have one more too which is also an entry for the Recipe Challenge (sesame seeds).

Was the lack of runny yolk due to the length of time in the air-fryer?
I’m fairly certain that’s exactly the cause. It was poached, and soft, before I put it in the air fryer. I set the timer for 10 minutes, and decide to check after 5: it was done. But, maybe it could be done after 3 minutes. This is an experiment I will definitely be trying again and again.

Please do! Its flexible until I tie off the thread - which won't be until Monday. I have one more too which is also an entry for the Recipe Challenge (sesame seeds).
I have learned that my future does not lie in soft boiled eggs. So far I have ruined four - I am fast running out of eggs! I might admit defeat on this challenge and save my remaining eggs for something I can get right - a soufflé perhaps.

I have learned that my future does not lie in soft boiled eggs. So far I have ruined four - I am fast running out of eggs! I might admit defeat on this challenge and save my remaining eggs for something I can get right - a soufflé perhaps.

What went wrong?

Soufflé! Maybe good for the next challenge...

Back
Top Bottom