The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

So I've done it. made some and eaten them for lunch. the rest of the filling will be used tonight to make some to be served with the soup which I have just realised is lacking bread!

Oh well... Excuse the mucky kitchen and lack of anything resembling what people expect of a kitchen... (clean surfaces, nice floor, you know that sort of thing - mine is a functional kitchen with minimal work surface space and plenty of mud on the bare wooden flooring).

I only had 2 crumpet rings to act as a guide, so the edges are not sharp and they are hand sealed. I ran around the edge with the pastry brush (1st picture top right). None came open, they were cooked correctly at the join.

View attachment 8234 View attachment 8239 View attachment 8236 View attachment 8235

View attachment 8237

View attachment 8238

They are filled with just onions. Caramalised onions in a balsamic and honey glaze with thyme, served with a little EVO oil over the top.
They were boiled for 6 minutes. I should probably have cut open one of the other ones because this was the one with the least amount of filling, but I don't like cold food that is meant to be hot, so was keen to eat them.
Fantastic! They look really good. Most of us who tried seemed to have had disasters first time round.

So I've done it. made some and eaten them for lunch. the rest of the filling will be used tonight to make some to be served with the soup which I have just realised is lacking bread!

Oh well... Excuse the mucky kitchen and lack of anything resembling what people expect of a kitchen... (clean surfaces, nice floor, you know that sort of thing - mine is a functional kitchen with minimal work surface space and plenty of mud on the bare wooden flooring).

I only had 2 crumpet rings to act as a guide, so the edges are not sharp and they are hand sealed. I ran around the edge with the pastry brush (1st picture top right). None came open, they were cooked correctly at the join.

View attachment 8234 View attachment 8239 View attachment 8236 View attachment 8235

View attachment 8237

View attachment 8238

They are filled with just onions. Caramalised onions in a balsamic and honey glaze with thyme, served with a little EVO oil over the top.
They were boiled for 6 minutes. I should probably have cut open one of the other ones because this was the one with the least amount of filling, but I don't like cold food that is meant to be hot, so was keen to eat them.

Very interesting, I like your ravioli! Brava. And your kitchen is genuine and perfect in this way! Mine is the same...a bit confuse, little spaces, "vissuta" ( I don't know how translate this) Kitchens have to say " I work much more than other rooms...I'm not a lounge! Respect!"

Wow! You said you had never even made pasta before and you have now made ravioli - they look great! I'm impressed. The filling sounds delicious.

Wow! You said you had never even made pasta before and you have now made ravioli - they look great! I'm impressed. The filling sounds delicious.
Thank you.
The filling is one that I have done before. Exceptionally easy and hardly a recipe. Chopped onions (2) on a low heat for a long time. I usually convert with a lid and forget about them... Smell alone tells you what you need to know. Sour occasionally. When they start to go brown add the balsamic vinegar. Enough to give a good coating and a little more. Add somewhere between 1tsp and 1tbsp of honey (entirely optional and depends on quality of vinegar and your tastes), also add 1tsp dried thyme or several sprigs of fresh (remember to remove stalks). Continue low heat until almost at point of burning. Stirring occasionally and keeping the lid on. No guesses on how I 'discovered' the idea.

I made more this evening, 5 each served with the soup. My husband really enjoyed them. None came apart and 6-7 minutes was spot on. The filling would probably have made 12 but I could only get 10 crumpet things out of what I rolled so they were better filled than the ones photographed. I think my grannie's pastry wheel has a lot to do with it, that and fingernails...

I've ended up with rather a lot extra pasta so I'm making fettuccine tomorrow to serve with the Indian curry we had planned (instead of rice). They'll be made and cut by hand so rather crude but... I suspect I'll either freeze any extra or try dehydrating it. I always need sheet pasta.

Thank you.
The filling is one that I have done before. Exceptionally easy and hardly a recipe. Chopped onions (2) on a low heat for a long time. I usually convert with a lid and forget about them... Smell alone tells you what you need to know. Sour occasionally. When they start to go brown add the balsamic vinegar. Enough to give a good coating and a little more. Add somewhere between 1tsp and 1tbsp of honey (entirely optional and depends on quality of vinegar and your tastes), also add 1tsp dried thyme or several sprigs of fresh (remember to remove stalks). Continue low heat until almost at point of burning. Stirring occasionally and keeping the lid on. No guesses on how I 'discovered' the idea.

I made more this evening, 5 each served with the soup. My husband really enjoyed them. None came apart and 6-7 minutes was spot on. The filling would probably have made 12 but I could only get 10 crumpet things out of what I rolled so they were better filled than the ones photographed. I think my grannie's pastry wheel has a lot to do with it, that and fingernails...

I've ended up with rather a lot extra pasta so I'm making fettuccine tomorrow to serve with the Indian curry we had planned (instead of rice). They'll be made and cut by hand so rather crude but... I suspect I'll either freeze any extra or try dehydrating it. I always need sheet pasta.

Fantastic and so good that your husband enjoyed it. But - may I ask exactly how much pasta you made (weight of flour)? It seems to be a lot!

Fantastic and so good that your husband enjoyed it. But - may I ask exactly how much pasta you made (weight of flour)? It seems to be a lot!
I made 80% of what the recipe on the back of the packet of flour said. I had no idea how much to make so could only go by its instructions. plus I was using my frozen eggs so had to do it in twos. So I made a 400g flour, 8g salt, 4 eggs, 1 tsp olive oil mixture. So far despite making 15 large ravioli (that plate was a dinner plate) and some tagleotelli for my lunch I have used maybe 1/3 rd if that.

Last edited:
I made 80% of what the recipe on the back of the packet of flour said. I had no idea how much to make so could only go by its instructions. plus I was using my frozen eggs so had to do it in twos. So I made a 400g flour, 8g salt, 4 eggs, 1 tsp olive oil mixture. So far despite making 15 large ravioli (that plate was a dinner plate) and some tagleotelli for my lunch I have used maybe 1/3 rd if that.

That is a lot of flour. I just used 100g of flour for mine (as posted above) which is about enough for two, I think. No wonder you had so much pasta left over. But anyway, it is just great you learned a new technique and so did I. Well actually you learned two techniques: making pasta and making ravioli.

Making pasta seems easy to be honest. Not that much different from chapatti or pastry.
As for ravioli, well very similar to pasties or veg samosas... maybe that is why I didn't have a problem with either? I am used to making pasties and samosas and other such filled 'pastry' style food.

Perhaps next time I won't be out of eggs and have to raid the freezer rather than the chook house! (I gave 2 dozen away last week but I did take 5 yesterday and 4 the day before, but somehow, after making scones, I had none and didn't realise!) I will also look on the back of the packet because I am certain it said serves 4 and I was looking for more than 4 servings.

This is what I followed.
DSC_1607b.jpg

500g = 5 servings

OK - I did it. I know it's not ravioli, but I could in theory make it into ravioli but I have combined 2 of the challenges and made 2 versions of chocolate pasta... <cough>
I have made up 100g of bitter chocolate pasta (pasta di cacao more precisely) and another identical 100g of bitter chocolate pasta only I then added 15g of the nearest I have to icing sugar (which is basically what is known as raw sugar here, light brown small crystals of cane sugar which I have put through my spice grinder to make into a powder (after a long grind).). The plan is to serve it with a chocolate cashew nut cream lightly sweetened (it will need it) with a touch more of that icing sugar. Both were made with eggs from the same chook as well!

Both versions will be served with the same chocolate cream. Which will be 1 cup of cashew nuts soaked overnight till soft, then put through my high speed blender with 1 cup of water to produce a cashew nut cream. I will then add 1 bar of melted Green & Blacks Dark Chocolate to the cream and whip til thoroughly mixed and sweeten with a touch of that icing sugar. It will be a to taste sweetening, so I don't know how much will get added. And I am not asking my husband exactly how much that bar of dark chocolate of Green & Blacks cost because I know it won't be a good figure. He knows I have been having a bad week so came how with it yesterday! Photos to photo. I guess I could stuff the pasta with the cream, but I suspect it will be more a tagliatelle for ease because the cashew nut cream will be wetter than ideal. I would have made a proper whipped cream up with a can of coconut cream and canola oil (yeh - it does genuinely work, but that is another thread entirely) and added cocoa powder and icing sugar to the mix which makes an excellent stable and solid whipped cream and would have worked really well as a filling for chocolate ravioli, but I used that last can earlier this week and we haven't been shopping yet and the extension to only Monday probably does not give me enough time to try again.)

The question is would you actually eat chocolate ravioli with a chocolate whipped cream filling? I can't help thinking a chocolate chestnut filling might work better.

My beef ravioli. Actually it's Mr. Branston's beef ravioli but I opened the tin, heated it in the pan and served it with freshly ground black pepper.

ravioli-june 2 s.jpg

[It was very nice]

Thanks so much for extending the challenge.

I made ricotta & spinach ravioli.

I live with carnivores so I made 12 big meatballs which I browned, deglazed with 1/2 a bottle of red then added a bottle of tomato sauce & simmered it over low heat until thick.

Once the rav was cooked I piled it into the centre of the meatball sauce and then spooned over olive oil mixed with gremolata.

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

On the table, family style with grated Parmesan & a big salad plus some bread.

Back
Top Bottom