The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

Tomorrow I would prepare a different kind of the classics Italian ravioli. They are always ravioli but from Sardegna and the have a filling made with..................
well ok, tomorrow you'll see...and also the shape isn't square but seems like chinese ravioli...my aunt always made homemade in Sardegna and she teached to me how prepared them.

I'll look forward to seeing it!

And can someone tell me what 00 flour is?

Quote from details of a brand name 00 flour:

"00" Grade Premium Plain Flour uses the purest, whitest, central part of the wheat. The resulting flour is incredibly silky and white and blends more easily with fats and liquids than other flours.

Sauces are dramatically whiter, smother and glossier... with less effort. No lumps mean no extra whisking, sieving or liquidising. When making shortcrust pastry this flour is easier to handle and will give you deliciously crisp, light pastries.

@morning glory,

I think I would do it by a specific country or in cases, such as the Usa, by a specific región: New England ..

Considering there are uncountable backgrounds, it provides for a wider spectrum of dishes and a unique learning experience ..

@Cinisajoy

The origins of Falanl ( Arabic ) for Falafel, in a Taboon flat bread, are obscure however, it all points to The Coptic Egyptians in Alexandria, one of the largest Ports in the Mediterranean. Falafel was a dish prepared for Lent by the Coptic Catholics.

Pita Bread is substituted ..

Sincé it is completely vegetarian, it has grown as one of the National Dishes in several countries in The Middle East including Israel, Jordan and Lebanon ..

The Israeli adopted it due to its dietary laws, where it can be eaten with meats or dairy ..

Falafel are prepared with following:

Garbanzo or Chick Peas
Water
Onion
Garlic
Cilantro
Cumin
Yeast
Evoo ( Israel is one of the largest Evoo and Wine producers since the beginning )

The Vegetables used in Falafel:

Red tomato
Cucumber
Parsley
Lemon Zest
Green Bell
Red Bell
And: Cayenne Hot Sauce made from tiny dried red peppers ( you can buy these in any Latin Market ) and they are called Guindillas.

Quote from details of a brand name 00 flour:
That was no help.
Is it for everything?
Is it for cakes?
Is it for breads?

Those details sounded like an advertisement to buy that brand over others.
Let me rephrase:
Is it just a brand name of an all purpose flour?

Falafel are prepared with following:

Garbanzo or Chick Peas
Water
Onion
Garlic
Cilantro
Cumin
Yeast
Evoo ( Israel is one of the largest Evoo and Wine producers since the beginning )

there's no yeast in the versions I have seen. It is also very common for them to be made with fava beans (broad beans) as well as chickpeas. It is just of late, outside of their originating countries that most people (for ease) make them with chickpeas. But those made with fava beans are actually very tasty and far nicer IMO

That was no help.
Is it for everything?
Is it for cakes?
Is it for breads?

Let me rephrase:

Its a type of flour not a brand name. The flour is recommended for pasta as it is lighter.

That was no help.
Is it for everything?
Is it for cakes?
Is it for breads?

Let me rephrase:
No - I've moved it to the ravioli thread for a reason.

It is basically pasta flour. 00 stands for the grade of the grind. Very fine. Finer than needed even for chapatti with atta flour (though I don't know if that last bit helps you either).

It is basically pasta flour. 00 stands for the grade of the grind. Very fine. Finer than needed even for chapatti with atta flour (though I don't know if that last bit helps you either).
Now I understand. Makes more sense now.

Now I understand. Makes more sense now.
no problem. I have encountered something similar here in Australia.

I walked into a hardware store (my local rural store) 2 weeks ago and asked for some 00 wire wool. I got blank looks all round with the usual question going around every member of staff. In the end I had to explain what I was doing and that I wasn't prepared to buy 1 packet of wood burner stove glass pads every 2 weeks when 00 wire wool would do exactly the same job. 00 is obviously (now) the gauge of the wire wool... that is just 'fine' here and wire wool is simply steel wool. so I now have to make the mental translation of English to English of 00 wire wool being fine steel wool otherwise I am not understood and am most definitely considered to be that balmy mad Pom who asks for weird things every time she walks in. I have taken to texting my builder to ask him what things are called! He's originally from the UK and has had great fun with translations!

there's no yeast in the versions I have seen. It is also very common for them to be made with fava beans (broad beans) as well as chickpeas. It is just of late, outside of their originating countries that most people (for ease) make them with chickpeas. But those made with fava beans are actually very tasty and far nicer IMO

@ Sat,

A 1/2 spoon of yeast is incorporated with the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro and cumin with 1 Tablespoon of wáter .. Combine extremely thoroughly.

Mix with a stand up mixer for 10 seconds only.

( The Yeast permits the Falafel to rise just slightly .. ) So that the Balls are not like Ice Hockey Pucks .. They are light and absolutely amazing ..

This is how it is made by an old friend of my sons who is from Tel Aviv .. And when she visits, she always prepares it for us.

This thread has me very excited.

I spent a day in a handmade pasta cooking class a few years ago after purchasing the pasta rolling attachmentments for Marlene, my beloved Kitchenaid. This past Christmas I was given ravioli stamps and a cutting wheel from my partner which haven't seen the light of day yet.

Inspiration hasn't hit me until I saw this thread. Thank you CookingBites. xx

It's also the type of wheat - durum wheat is harder than others and has a higher protein count. Making it less elastic than the wheat flours called for in bread making. I use all purpose flour for breads but if I can source it at a decent price point I use durum tipo OO for pasta.

My favorite Ravioli Recipe is a Dessert Ravioli which I prepare during The Christmas Holidays ( 22nd of December - January 6th ).

The ingredients are.

400 grams of peeled chestnuts, 100 grams of black chocolate from Tuscany, 80 grams of honey, 1 Mandarine or Tangerine, 2 Tablesp. of Cream, 5 grams of flour and a fruity Bio Evoo ..

For the Pasta: I use 300 grams of unbleached Bio flour, 1 Mandarine, 100 grams of bio sugar fine grain confectioners sugar, 2 eggs and 2 soup spoons of Evoo and Salt.

For the decoration: Mandarine Zest and walnuts and hazelnuts and a cinammon stick ..

This historic recipe comes from Campania - Italy from 2 talented ladies & sisters by the names of Lina & Maria.

Have a lovely day ..
That sounds divine @Francesca

Back
Top Bottom