The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

no, here they are a special rice soaked for 24hrs before use and no rice paper involved at all. don't ask how it stays together, I have no idea, but I do have the rice.
I don't know what you mean then. But if the rice sticks together it must simply be sticky rice, I think!

These perhaps (Chinese sticky rice rolls) - they look a bit like clumsy sushi!

3058471008_2956831905.jpg

These were the type I thought you meant:

images-238.jpeg

The point of the Cookalong is to try out 'Classic' dishes that we haven't cooked before and new techniques rather than cook what we already know how to cook. The choice of Ravioli has been a learning curve for quite a few of us! Which is the point really.

My personal responses to the suggestions above:

Chinese dumplings is a good one.
Pot pie (is it difficult?). Its not really much of challenge (or is it?) - pie with pastry on top. But making filo pastry would certainly be a learning curve in itself. That would be interesting!
Curry - Rogan Josh has been listed. We could choose a well known vegetarian Indian dish perhaps that most of haven't cooked before.
Cobbler? I see that as easy peasy.
Bread? Lots of us make bread already. Although, I do think we should start a bread thread to encourage those who haven't made bread to try it though. It could be a different sort of cookalong aimed at basic techniques.
Rice rolls - do you mean things wrapped in pre-made rice paper and steamed? Too easy in my view.
Paratha? This came up in another thread. It could be technically interesting.
Falafel. This is a good one. Notoriously difficult to make. I have made some twice from scratch and not been happy! Raw chick peas must be used not tinned.
If you have never made phyllo dough, you are in for a treat or surprise. My aunt made it one time when us kids were still growing up. Every kid for a mile got a turn or two with the rolling pin.

Now why would one use phyllo dough in a pot pie? I thought they were made with basic pastry dough.

Hey @morning glory,
You want to do a cookalong, but then you want to make something time consuming and complicated or overly expensive. We are not rich retirees with nice cool kitchens. Or have easy access to all your exotic foods. Are you going to pay for my petrol to go to a food store that sells all this. It is 482 km one way. $75 USD to drive there and back. I have an idea. Put your apartment at 27C. Now turn on your hob and your oven. Could you make something time consuming in those conditions?
Well you want me too.
Not to mention everything you suggested is not classic foods. I've not in Morocco, we don't have tagines here. I would to google every one of your so-called classics.

If you really want a cookalong with many participants, do something that is more common and way less time consuming and doesn't require special equipment.
How about a nice Beef bourguignon or a chicken dish of some kind. Hundreds of classic recipes there.
Not experimental foods. I am not rich enough to throw away food if the experiment goes wrong.

I didn't participate in the ravioli challenge mostly because you basically insisted on seafood ravioli.
I couldn't afford the seafood. Not to mention, my husband wouldn't eat that crap. We both think it sounds horrible. Even without the seafood element, it is too hot to be in the kitchen more than a few minutes. The pasta would dry before you could get it rolled.
You want to do international cookalongs, totally cool. You just need to remember the differences.
Heck, that would be like me suggesting we do a nice classic barbecue brisket. I am sure half of us could do it but I seriously doubt that you could do a barbecue brisket. Do you have a charcoal barbecue pit? Can you get your hands on a brisket? Not to mention, that would leave at least 3 posters here out.

Now why would one use phyllo dough in a pot pie?

I guess I have sometime just used whatever is available in the freezer on the day, because with ends not always meeting with only 1 of us in paid work, I have to make do. It has never been an issue though and is often exceptionally nice!

See this one Indian Potato Pie - not a 'liquid' pie though which is where I would use a basic pastry rather than filo or puff https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1039649/indian-potato-pie original recipe.

My altered version often uses puff pastry though https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/spicy-sweet-potato-potato-tomato-and-pea-pie.8064/

I guess I have sometime just used whatever is available in the freezer on the day, because with ends not always meeting with only 1 of us in paid work, I have to make do. It has never been an issue though and is often exceptionally nice!

See this one Indian Potato Pie - not a 'liquid' pie though which is where I would use a basic pastry rather than filo or puff https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1039649/indian-potato-pie original recipe.

My altered version often uses puff pastry though https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/spicy-sweet-potato-potato-tomato-and-pea-pie.8064/
I would imagine it would be fabulous, it just struck me as odd knowing how fragile that dough is. Unless there is more than one phyllo dough. The one I am thinking of is paper thin and you would need several layers.

How about a nice Beef bourguignon or a chicken dish of some kind

Absolutely! The very first dish was Coq au Vin: very simple ingredients. But we can never hope to come up with dishes where the ingredients are always totally available to everyones or the dish has vegan/vegetarian options. Our membership is so diverse that there will always be someone who can't source ingredients. The best we can do is try to rotate it fairly to include as many 'classic' dishes from around the world as we can (I'm using the word 'classic' advisedly!).

So, Beef Bourguignon will go on the list! :okay:

Last edited:
The one I am thinking of is paper thin and you would need several layers.
yes - you use multiple layers - which is the only what I have ever used filo pastry.

@morning glory
It would be nice if there could be something soon that was not only feasible (I've never made pasta before let alone ravioli and tbh finding the flour has taken most of the challenge.) but suitable for all. We have had solely meat options and solely fish options already (such as the coq au vin where it is really hard to come up with anything vegan for (I need vegan wine and something that will absorb the flavours which I assume chicken meat does)). OK the last one could have been any option, but it availability and more importantly ability (which I lack along with a pasta maker, ok I know I can use a rolling pin but...)

From the list so far, falafels get my vote.

Back
Top Bottom