The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha. So you would have been a good candidate for something with about half the sugar or even with stevia as a replacement?

Half the sugar, yes. That would be wonderful.

Can't abide the taste of stevia. Tastes like old gym socks probably taste, to me. (I wonder since it is so fully not-sweet to me, if my reaction to stevia is like some people's reaction to cilantro? Ie, genetic or something? I mean, there's nothing sweet about stevia at all to my taste buds.

Half the sugar, yes. That would be wonderful.

Can't abide the taste of stevia. Tastes like old gym socks probably taste, to me. (I wonder since it is so fully not-sweet to me, if my reaction to stevia is like some people's reaction to cilantro? Ie, genetic or something? I mean, there's nothing sweet about stevia at all to my taste buds.
I can tolerate stevia, but I can't stand artificial sweeteners like saccharine, etc. I would always choose cane sugar. I really like sugar in the raw (turbinado) and brown sugar the best.

DD441383-98EA-4266-B2E4-BC733ED2408C.jpeg

Almond chopping technique.

I was dreading having to chop almonds for this recipe I’m about to post, so I looked up alternative ideas besides using a knife, and then chasing the almonds across the countertop as they fly.

This is by far the best technique I’ve ever seen. That apple slicer you never use? Now you have a use for it. Note how the circular shape traps the almonds so they don’t go flying.

You’re welcome. 🙂

This is by far the best technique I’ve ever seen. That apple slicer you never use? Now you have a use for it. Note how the circular shape traps the almonds so they don’t go flying.

Good thinking. But wouldn't a mini food chopper do the job? I don't know. I haven't tried to chop any yet...

My mom used to have this little nut grinder from the 1950s that she used for over 50 years before it broke. It had a glass receptacle with a screw on top that had a hand-crank grinder on the top. I remember her using it during the holidays when she baked. It looked like this:

1600364624336.png

Last edited:
Good thinking. But wouldn't a mini food chopper do the job? I don't know. I haven't tried to chop any yet...
I have seen these, and I sometimes do wish I had bought one. I mostly think about this when I'm dicing onions, but they would probably be better than the apple slicer for almonds. Since I don't have one, though, this is a good option.

Spiedini Of Chicken & Zucchini W/ Almond Salsa Verde:

Recipe - Spiedini Of Chicken & Zucchini W/ Almond Salsa Verde

Really simple weeknight supper, especially since the salsa (the most involved part) can be prepared up to a day ahead.

Having such a simple base really lets the salsa stand out. It may be called an almond salsa, but it's the overload of fresh herbs that makes this shine. The salsa would be fantastic on steak as well. Very bright and summery with the citrus, and a little crunch from the almonds, it's satisfying without being heavy or filling.

Spiedini Of Chicken & Zucchini W/ Almond Salsa Verde:

Recipe - Spiedini Of Chicken & Zucchini W/ Almond Salsa Verde

Really simple weeknight supper, especially since the salsa (the most involved part) can be prepared up to a day ahead.

Having such a simple base really lets the salsa stand out. It may be called an almond salsa, but it's the overload of fresh herbs that makes this shine. The salsa would be fantastic on steak as well. Very bright and summery with the citrus, and a little crunch from the almonds, it's satisfying without being heavy or filling.

This looks great!

DOH! I was going to do an almond crusted fish dish. :facepalm:

Oh well, yours looks great (although I don't like trout, one of the few fishes I don't like).

CD
Don't let my recipe stop you. Your recipe will have a different twist.
Speckled Trout and Flounder are my favorite Gulf fish. I don't turn down Grouper or Red Fish. In the freezer we also have Catfish and Sac a Lait (White Perch) filets.

Puff Paste Almond Cake (Pithiviers)

Recipe - Puff Paste Almond Cake (Pithiviers)

Ok, the recipe as posted isn't exactly what I made, but judging from the pictures in the book, it's close, as the puff paste resembled pie dough much more than it did what I know as puff pastry.

Onto the tasting...

Because it had to guess at the time, I probably left it in just a few minutes too long - I say that not because of the color; it should have that deep mahogany look, but because the filling was just a bit dry.

Typical almond filling, though; nutty and sweet, nicely rich from the addition of the egg. This is perfect with a nice cup of coffee, and is a real stunner on the plate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom