The CookingBites recipe challenge: bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon Jam
Well someone had to do it!
I worked closely with a Canadian restaurateur who was crazy creative. This was one of his suggestions - I developed the recipe. Any time I had this available at a bazaar or "gourmet" type event, it just flew out of the door; probably because of the novelty.
What it does need is long, slow cooking. then you can use it on bread, as a dip, on burgers, with eggs, what ever you want.

Recipe 2 of 3:

Recipe - Cheddar-Bacon Popcorn

Yeah, yeah, it's just popcorn with some melted cheese and bacon, but sometimes, that's all you really need. I like to post a fun, low-effort recipe now and again, but something you might look at and say, "Hmmmm...I think I'd like that...."

Here's the sneaky bit, though: I could try and write something about the cheese...or the bacon...but what I really liked about this was a combination of the black pepper and the way the broiler/grill dried out the popcorn a little. It made it almost crispy.

If you want a little change from your usual movie night popcorn, give this one a try.

Picture's a mess due to the lighting.

Oh, one last thing, no one's going to object if you drizzle a little of the rendered bacon fat over the popcorn and mix it around a shake or two. Trust me. They won't complain. Not one bit.

Recipe 3 of 3:

Recipe - Savory Cheesy Bacon Oatmeal

How about a bowl of savory oatmeal for breakfast, instead of the usual (around here) sweetened bowl?

Start by frying off some chopped bacon, set that aside and sauté a little onion in the rendered fat. Next, add in the dry oats and stir/fry just a few seconds to toast and coat the oats in all that lovely bacon flavor. In with the water, then finish with a good bit of cheddar, and top it all off with a fried egg and the diced bacon. Perfect!

I love the step of toasting the oats a few seconds in the bacon grease - it really pushes that flavor front and center. All in all, though, considering the savory aspect, this really reminds me of eating a bowl of rice. Without our usual sugar, syrup, and cinnamon, this could be a perfect stand-in for a big, steaming bowl of rice, so while this is posted on the originator's site as a breakfast recipe, it would be welcome any time of day, and I think particularly satisfying on a colder day.

Courgette, Leek and Bacon Quiche
I´ve made all sorts of variations of this; with artichokes, with other squashes like chayote, with spinach. It´s very versatile, and if you want to use pancetta, or back bacon, or guanciale, or add some ham, be my guest. My personal favourite is with fresh artichokes, but I couldn´t find them, so sod it! The combination of bacon and leeks is divine, without a doubt. Don´t overcook the courgettes/zucchini - even if they look raw, they´ll soften during the baking.
I added green peppercorns because I found some in the supermarket. I left them whole, so as you eat your way through this, you´ll come across a taste bomb of pepper. I thought it worked out rather well!

I thought I would toss this in challenge for shitzingiggles. It is a copycat Wendy's Baconator, AKA a heart attack on a bun. 12 ounces of 80/20 beef, six pieces of thick cut applewood smoked bacon, two slices of cheese, mayo and ketchup on a kaiser roll.

Not a great photo, but it did taste really good. I could only eat half. The other half is in the fridge.

_DSC3262.jpg

CD

I thought I would toss this in challenge for shitzingiggles. It is a copycat Wendy's Baconator, AKA a heart attack on a bun. 12 ounces of 80/20 beef, six pieces of thick cut applewood smoked bacon, two slices of cheese, mayo and ketchup on a kaiser roll.

Not a great photo, but it did taste really good. I could only eat half. The other half is in the fridge.

View attachment 90280

CD
Well now dang it all!
Now I want a Burger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom