The CookingBites recipe challenge: celery, celeriac, celery salt & celery seeds

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:02 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is celery and The Late Night Gourmet is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses celery, celeriac, celery salt, or celery seeds, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Thursday 18th May UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our salads today included a bing pinch of celery seed, and the eggs we had were seasoned with celery salt. I use one or the other nearly every day.

I can't eat it myself, but I may make something for my husband.. Depending on if I can get any, because it's not a popular vegetable here. I do like it, don't get me wrong. I just can't due to having no colon. Celeriac puree is lovely!

I can't eat it myself, but I may make something for my husband.. Depending on if I can get any, because it's not a popular vegetable here. I do like it, don't get me wrong. I just can't due to having no colon. Celeriac puree is lovely!
I'm curious. I thought you could eat other spices, so is there a reason why celery seed is not an option when cumin seed or coriander seed is? Or am I incorrect about you being able to eat spices?

I'm curious. I thought you could eat other spices, so is there a reason why celery seed is not an option when cumin seed or coriander seed is? Or am I incorrect about you being able to eat spices?
No, celery seed is just not a spice sold here. I can eat spices, but not ones I can't buy. Correction: I can see it's used in some kinds of tea, but I can't find any source that sells it loose. I will see if I can get some, might be interesting to try.

No, celery seed is just not a spice sold here. I can eat spices, but not ones I can't buy. Correction: I can see it's used in some kinds of tea, but I can't find any source that sells it loose. I will see if I can get some, might be interesting to try.
I've honestly never really looked for in when in the Netherlands.
A quick google gives plenty of options though.....

I actually only use celery in soup, and just because I can't get celeriac.
As soon as I see it (bunch of fresh celery) I tend to buy a it, then go find split peas and take it from there

I've honestly never really looked for in when in the Netherlands.
A quick google gives plenty of options though.....

I actually only use celery in soup, and just because I can't get celeriac.
As soon as I see it (bunch of fresh celery) I tend to buy a it, then go find split peas and take it from there
I am not going to order a big quantity of a spice I never use and never tried before ( I only see them in spice stores which require a minimum of 100 gram purchases) and they're not sold in regular supermarkets.

I have almost all spices out there, but I am first going to order a tea to see if I even like the taste.

Either way I am not going answer more questions about why I am not buying this or why I may not eat this. I have been clear enough and where I live it's not for sale in any stores I know of even though apparently some Dutch stores do sell it. ( in large quantities).

I actually only use celery in soup
I love celery seed (and it’s salty sibling, celery salt). It’s something of a secret ingredient for me. It shows up in potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad, deviled eggs, soups, sprinkled over salad, in scrambled eggs, with tomato dishes (tomato and celery…great mates!), in salad dressings, sprinkled on sandwich fillings…

Back
Top Bottom