The CookingBites recipe challenge: celery, celeriac, celery salt & celery seeds

I love celery seed (and it’s salty sibling, celery salt). It’s something of a secret ingredient for me. It shows up in potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad, deviled eggs, soups, sprinkled over salad, in scrambled eggs, with tomato dishes (tomato and celery…great mates!), in salad dressings, sprinkled on sandwich fillings…

Don't forget Chicago hot dogs. :okay:

CD

My first one is a fun, easy one:

Recipe - Stuffed Celery Sticks

This makes a great appetizer/snack. What I like about it is that it absolutely titters 1961 cocktail party to me. It's shamelessly campy, and has the added benefit of being addictively delicious.

Funny side story: the pic you see above...I totally messed this up. I was reading the ingredients, and it was 1/2 cup this, a 1/2 cup that, and when I got to the 1/2 teaspoon mustard...yup, I read that as a 1/2 cup!

Truth is, it still tasted great, because it had that pungent little slap of mustard. Both MrsT and I, after finishing these, said, "I wish we had some more!"

I figured it was ok since it’s just ground up celery seed and salt. I usually just mix up my own.

I looked up celery seed in my local supermarket and failed. So I looked up celery salt and got a single hit and it is anything but salt and celery seeds! It's not white or grey either.

Screenshot_20230421_132814_Woolworths.jpg

Screenshot_20230421_132537_Woolworths.jpg
92% salt & celery seed.

I looked up celery seed in my local supermarket and failed. So I looked up celery salt and got a single hit and it is anything but salt and celery seeds! It's not white or grey either.

View attachment 99021

View attachment 99020
92% salt & celery seed.

If 92% salt and celery seed is not enough, celery salt is easy to make with a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. For me, I would make mine with less salt and more celery seed.

BTW, I like celery salt as a general seasoning.

CD

There was a recipe for Rujak posted in the sugar challenge, and when I went to look at one of my favourite Indonesian cooking site, I saw a recipe for Rujak with celery.
If they have celery in the shop I may just try make that as it sounds like something that could work.
I just checked and the recipe asks for celeriac, but I think straight celery will work.
Maybe

Here comes my first, then: Asian Inspired Slaw with Celery and Kohlrabi
I went to the local "supermarket", aka Grocery Store, and they had purple kohlrabi. Wow. I'd never seen "purple" and never seen with the leaves, so I bought some, just for the hell of it. Great raw in salads, so I thought I'd just make a "slaw" with what I'd got, which included a huge bunch of celery.
.For a salad as simple as this, I'd just add what ever you have to hand. Napa cabbage, for example, would be great.

Asian style slaw with kohlrabi.jpg
Kohlrabi Purple .jpg

Last edited:
My next one, a cocktail:

Recipe - Celery Tonic

I must say, it’s the first time I’ve ever muddled celery for a cocktail, but it was quite nice. The celery added a slightly spicy-bitter taste that worked out well.

MrsT’s comment: “Celery?…In a drink?…<slurp>…That’s refreshing!”

I made stewed Italian sausages today, and the recipe called for fresh fennel and fennel seed.

I assumed I had fennel seed, but I didn’t. I’d thrown it out on a recent purge because it was several years old, and I forgot to replace it.

What does Google say is an excellent substitute for fennel seed? Celery seed! Celery seed to the rescue!

I made stewed Italian sausages today, and the recipe called for fresh fennel and fennel seed.

I assumed I had fennel seed, but I didn’t. I’d thrown it out on a recent purge because it was several years old, and I forgot to replace it.

What does Google say is an excellent substitute for fennel seed? Celery seed! Celery seed to the rescue!

Co-incidentally, I was researching celery seeds today and came across the same (this was in a book about herbs and spices, not Google).

Back
Top Bottom