The CookingBites recipe challenge: celery, celeriac, celery salt & celery seeds

Friends called this week. " We've got to come and see you. How about a "parilla" (BBQ) this Sunday?" So we planned the BBQ. No-one has a BBQ in Venezuela without preparing a few "snacks" to eat before the meat is served. That may be an hour, or, in this case, 3 hours, because the piece of meat was half frozen when it arrived:hyper::hyper:
Anyway, I'd just cooked some beetroot and was actually looking for blue cheese, rather than cream cheese - but there wasn't any. This is what I found and the pecans were in the fridge.
Celery , Beetroot and Pecan Canapés
Celery, beetroot & pecan canapes.jpg

My third one:

Recipe - Celery Seed Dressing

On the salad (hard to see):

IMG_4191.jpeg

This is a salad dressing that brings back memories. It’s generally considered an Amish/Mennonite standard that’s permeated its way throughout the Midwest and beyond, and both my mom and her mom made it frequently, and it was at every potluck dinner and small-town diner when I was a kid.

It’s very sweet, I’ll tell you that. There’s enough sugar (and oil) to really stand up to the small amount of vinegar. Truth be told, this is almost a syrup.

As sweet as it is, make no mistake - this is a celery-flavored dressing and don’t let the seemingly meager amount of celery seed fool you; that bright-bitter signature celery taste pushes its way through.

Time for my first entry
Recipe - Khoresh Karafs – Germez (Persian Celery & Tomato Stew with tofu)

It is entirely possible that my recipe had more celery in it than the original... It certainly has more tomatoes in it, but that's how we wanted it.

Apologies for the colours. It's now dark by 5:30pm so evening photos are under artificial lighting and the celery stew certainly showed that last night.

Time for my first entry
Recipe - Khoresh Karafs – Germez (Persian Celery & Tomato Stew with tofu)

It is entirely possible that my recipe had more celery in it than the original... It certainly has more tomatoes in it, but that's how we wanted it.

Apologies for the colours. It's now dark by 5:30pm so evening photos are under artificial lighting and the celery stew certainly showed that last night.
I wish I could get leaves like that! They’re always cut off and discarded on the supermarket celery.

There are already a few celery-and-saffron pairings in the posted recipes. Very interesting...I wouldn't have thought of this, but I can see where it would make sense. I'm surprised this isn't in the Flavo(u)r Thesaurus, but I'd think Niki Segnit would agree that this is a good combination.

FlavorThesaurus_HERO_081220_10927_V1_final.jpg

There are already a few celery-and-saffron pairings in the posted recipes. Very interesting...I wouldn't have thought of this, but I can see where it would make sense. I'm surprised this isn't in the Flavo(u)r Thesaurus, but I'd think Niki Segnit would agree that this is a good combination.

View attachment 99313

My first port of call when looking for 'pairings'. There are some great combinations listed.

Back
Top Bottom