The CookingBites recipe challenge: celery, celeriac, celery salt & celery seeds

There’s shakshuska, eggs in purgatory, huevos rancheros…I need a catchy Midwestern name for this version.
  • "Big Ten Breakfast" - for the college athletic conference in our region. Sounds like something that would be served at a Denny's in Iowa City. Not much sizzle to that name.
  • "Rust Belt Rancheros" - it doesn't make a lot of sense (Rust Belt Ranchers) but it does have a ring to it.

Here's another one, then. Celery Poriyal
This time it's a take on a South East Indian dish , this time from Tamil Nadu. A Poriyal is basically a stir-fry (with enough water to just cook the veg) and will always be spicy because of the chiles. Mustard seeds, coconut and dry dal are characteristic. The dried dal is used almost like a spice.
This dish took no more than 10 minutes to cook, and about as long to prepare.
Celery poriyal 1.jpg
Celery Poriyal 2.jpg

The Late Night Gourmet, any chance of an extension? I've got 3 recipes lined up for this coming week. All are celery or celeriac based and I'll only have cooked and written up 2 by the deadline. I also thing Morning Glory had something planned but I haven't seen her write it up. I know it was similar one of mine, but with meat and definitely much better presentation and photos!

I just find there are way too many of them and I'm at all loss as to how to use so many of them. There are only so many I can eat raw. Even my chooks won't touch them, so sadly unless I'm making a soup that gets pureed, I don't tend to use them.

That head of celery was AUD $2 which is roughly £1 or USD $1.30.

A pesto maybe? Just guessing.

ETA: guess I'm late to the party about using them for pesto. I just got around to reading through this thread because we don't really use celery in a starring role.

A pesto maybe? Just guessing.

ETA: guess I'm late to the party about using them for pesto. I just got around to reading through this thread because we don't really use celery in a starring role.
Hubby will murder me if I make any more pesto. We've got at least 10 tubs of 6 servings each in the freezer of my sorrel pesto.

We've never really eaten celery in a staring role either but we've been pleasantly surprised with the results of it featuring as the main ingredient.

So 1 of the 3 dishes in making this week.

Recipe - Celery Congee with Braised Mushrooms

I'm have to confess to having to look up what a congee is/was, and this is exactly the description I found.
It was very definitely in the comfort food category. Hubby decided to use all of the "braised" mushrooms tonight (we've plenty of dried shiitake mushrooms, they're pretty cheap here (50g is about £2.50 for the expensive ones at the supermarket)), so I'll make another batch tomorrow using the fresh mushrooms he purchased yesterday (he bought too many so it isn't an issue). The double quotes around the word braised is because how they do it isn't my definition of braised, but using fresh tomorrow, it will be.

The Late Night Gourmet, any chance of an extension? I've got 3 recipes lined up for this coming week. All are celery or celeriac based and I'll only have cooked and written up 2 by the deadline. I also thing Morning Glory had something planned but I haven't seen her write it up. I know it was similar one of mine, but with meat and definitely much better presentation and photos!

Yeah - please! I've made and photographed a koresh as SatNavSaysStraightOn mentioned but not written up the recipe yet. I've dozens of other ideas and the ingredients to hand so I could possibly make another few entries if there is an extension.

That’s funny that we have so many leaves SatNavSaysStraightOn Very curious.

You all know I’m a hater. There’s some really interesting celery recipes in here but I just can’t with celery. I use it sparingly in things that must have it. And will swap it out for fennel when I can.

Most celeriac I see here is woody and horrid, though when I’ve had it as mash or soup I’ve liked it. I wasn’t sure they were related.

Weirdly I do like the seeds, especially with tomato.

Most celeriac I see here is woody and horrid, though when I’ve had it as mash or soup I’ve liked it. I wasn’t sure they were related.
We can only get the celeriac (aka celery root) from the fresh food market at the moment and it is expensive $11 for 750g bulb!

Once this challenge is over, hubby has asked that we only get it when it's available in the supermarket.

That’s funny that we have so many leaves SatNavSaysStraightOn Very curious.

You all know I’m a hater. There’s some really interesting celery recipes in here but I just can’t with celery. I use it sparingly in things that must have it. And will swap it out for fennel when I can.

Weirdly I do like the seeds, especially with tomato.
Yeah, I'm not a fan either. Celery is ok in soup but must be finely chopped and used sparingly. I too like the seeds but in mayonnaise-based tuna or chicken salad for sabdwiches.

I haven't really been following this challenge but was curious when it was over so popped in to check. Carry on!

Certainly. I'll extend it one more week (now May 18).

Back
Top Bottom