The CookingBites recipe challenge: celery, celeriac, celery salt & celery seeds

Second entry from me: Celery root shawarma

E8FC75C6-22F4-484B-B39E-C46767338AA2.jpeg

On the rotisserie right after cooking
9092C3BD-8850-43A5-9540-868D78E5AB90.jpeg

Dinner spread - finished celery root is bottom center

I learned to make these about 15 years ago, when someone asked me to do them a "Rijsttafel" for a family lunch. I've tweaked the recipe a few times ; this version was checked with an Indonesian blogger so I imagine it's pretty close to the original.
What original? Apparently, this potato patty derives from the Dutch frikandellen, made with minced meat and potatoes. I served these with homemade sambal and a mango salad dressed with sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. I've never eaten an "authentic" perkedel, so I'm sure Windigo can add some details for me!
Perkedel 1.jpg
Perkedel 2.jpg
Perkedel 3.jpg
Mango salad.jpg

Perkedel (Indonesian potato cakes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered - released tomorrow and will be delivered tomorrow (sez Amazon). I hope its as wittily written as the former book. That is part of the joy!

The Flavour Thesaurus: More Flavours: Plant-led Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for Cooks: Amazon.co.uk: Segnit, Niki: 9781526608987: Books

I think this review tells the story:

The Flavour Thesaurus: More Flavours is a food manual, bursting with descriptions, suggestions, recipes and science.The first book, a brilliant idea executed brilliantly, provided a jolt. This second volume. [is] if anything more useful than number one because it's in tune with how many of us eat these days: focusing on plants, but without ruling out meat and fish..Segnit [is] a brilliant writer, a tireless researcher.clearly an excellent cook, but also a discriminating editor.You can read it cover to cover, but better still. read the relevant section and see where the book takes you. If it's plums, it'll be to a café in Dittisham, which you've reached by ferry from a pontoon on the River Dart. How about that for transportive food writing? ― Literary Review

Back
Top Bottom