The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Chicken

Yes. It is a big fat experiment in cooking.

Are we having fun yet?

I finished making the filling, the pie dough and threw it all together and am now slow cooking. It's working! But it is slow going. The Crock Pot heats from the outside in and so, the pie crust along the edges and bottom is getting toasty, but the filling is still luke warm.

I had an overage on the filling though and had a delicious Chicken Stew for dinner tonight. Gosh it was very tasty! I done good by it.

PouletCipialle05.png

The above picture is of the crust shortly after pressing it into the crock pot bowl. Very sticky! I had to flour things down a lot while working it with the back of a spoon.

Why is that flour so brown? No secret at this point. I made Cashew Flour with my Mortar and Pestle and added it to the mix with Granola mix. I gave the raw dough a taste and it is scrum-diddely-umptious!

PouletCipialle02.png

The flour looked like peanut butter raw ...

PouletCipialle03.png

This stuff can easily be used to make a fine bread or cupcakes with the addition of yeast/baking soda. Wait till you all see the ingredients!

I figure to slow cook all night and turn it on Low from High when I bunk out.

PouletCipialle06.png

With the lid off, sneaking a peak.

Last edited:
Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille

PouletCipialle00a.png

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/mijoteuse-poulet-cipaille.12286/#post-113284

Clearly, it did not get soggy. It was very good, but I did make (2) mistakes. 1) I made the crust too thick and 2) I cooked it on high heat for longer than I should have. It was the first time I have tried something like this, so I forgive myself the errors. It did not suffer in terms of flavor, but was a little heavier and a bit drier than what I intended. The recipe ingredients are excellent, as is the concept.

Last edited:

View attachment 14420

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/mijoteuse-poulet-cipaille.12286/#post-113284

Clearly, it did not get soggy. It was very good, but I did make (2) mistakes. 1) I made the crust too thick and 2) I cooked it on high heat for longer than I should have. It was the first time I have tried something like this, so I forgive myself the errors. It did not suffer in terms of flavor, but was a little heavier and a bit drier than what I intended. The recipe ingredients are excellent, as is the concept.

I really admire your adventurous approach and I can see I was wrong about soggy pastry! Well done.

I'm bowled over by the entries - I believe this is the most entries we have ever had! Please make sure your entries have the correct tag (I have corrected one or two of your posts): The tag is: cookingbites recipe challenge. If you click on that you should see your entry.

I really admire your adventurous approach and I can see I was wrong about soggy pastry! Well done.

Before I retired, I ate out a lot in cafeterias, restaurants and fast food. When I did cook my own food, it was usually quickie microwave stuff or very easy stuff that I could manage in about an hour or less. I am really enjoying this adventure as well as some great food.

Time to jump in and do my last challenge entry: Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille

For those of you who don't speak, write or read French, Mijoteuse is slow cooking or the use of a crock pot, Poulet is Chicken and Cipaille is one of many names that are synonyms for a particular type of meat pie known as Sea Pie. So this meal is a Crock Pot slow cooked Chicken Sea Pie.

Certainly, many of you have heard of Pot Pies, Shepherd Pie, Scotch Pie and many others. I clued earlier by mentioning "Game of Thrones' Frey Pie" which was a humorous reference to Wyman Manderly having killed the three Freys and baked this meat pie using their remains. :) There is a well known Movie, "{Master and Commander, Far Side of The World" that shows the Captain and officers of HMS Surprise being served a Sea Pie, likely made with Pork. Sea Pies are so called because they were cooked and served to mariners at sea, again, usually pork. However, during the colonization of the Americas, Sea Pies evolved to include many other meats. These varsities are common in French Canada and the New England region of the US. Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille is inspired by its use in the Culinary Arts of Quebec by French Canadians. I have of course, created my own version of the dish which differs to some degree from what others may have done in the past.

Thank you for your interesting and clear explanation and history. I really appreciate knowing what something is without having to Google it.

I have today come across the Filipino dish "Sisig" which is traditionally cooked using pork but is simple to adapt and substitute chicken. Unfortunately it is too late to cook it and enter it for the challenge. However, I shall be trying it in the near future as today I ordered a cast iron sizzler plate.
Lapin.jpg

(it's strange that I spent 4 months in the Philippines in 2001 and never knowingly spotted this dish).

I have today come across the Filipino dish "Sisig" which is traditionally cooked using pork but is simple to adapt and substitute chicken. Unfortunately it is too late to cook it and enter it for the challenge. However, I shall be trying it in the near future as today I ordered a cast iron sizzler plate.
View attachment 14490
(it's strange that I spent 4 months in the Philippines in 2001 and never knowingly spotted this dish).

I got a sizzle plate for Christmas - you will probably need to season the cast-iron before using.

20 entries* this time round which I think may take the record. I managed to cook 3 of these recipes.
*3 were separate parts of one entry.

The recipes were:

@Yorky with 4 entries:
Chicken and potato curry
A lovely curry with a complex mix of spices and beautifully straightforward to make
Kwai Teow Gai
A tasty noodle dish - easy to make too and lots of chilli.
Chicken Shashlik
Beautifully cooked kebabs with a coriander marinade. On my to do list!
Spicy Roast Chicken (Creole Style)
I love those Creole flavours!

@Yorky has a brilliant way of packing maximum flavour into recipes combined with beautifully simple instructions on 'how to make'.

@Craig with 3 entries:
Cupcake/Muffin Tin Thighs
Excellent step by step images and techniques. This smoky chicken looked sticky and delicious.
Collard Rolls
Vibrant green collards with a stuffing packed with flavour and smothered in a delicious Creole sauce. And using chicken livers!
Tamales with Red Chili and Chicken Filling
This was the first time I’d come across tamales (not something much seen in the UK). I loved the use of several types of dried and pan roasted chillies. Lots of technique involved in this recipe.

@Elizabeth with Balsamic Chicken Thighs
This was one that I cooked. I really like the way the balsamic reduction flavoured the chicken. Great flavour combinations here.

@detroitdad with Cajun Chicken Pasta
Another recipe which I cooked. I’m not a big fan of creamy sauces but I found this dish to be delicious! I loved the addition of charred asparagus.

@flyinglentris with 3 entries
Chicken Ciabatta Sandwich
What’s not to like! Breaded chicken , horseradish, mustard and cheese sarnie.
Chicken Aromatic and Long Grain Wild Rice
Part 1 of a three part entry. An array of tasty ingredients go into this rice dish
Chicken Jalepeno Poppers
Part 2: Peppers stuffed with chicken and cheese and deep fried in batter. This is on my to do list!
Crystal PickaPeppa Marinated Chicken
Part 3: A delicious looking grilled chicken breast completes the meal.
An inventive adventure - pie cooked in a crock-pot. Its a technique I have to try.

@The Late Night Gourmet with 2 entries:
Chicken Sausage Rolls
Lovely flakey sausage rolls and I liked the ida of serving them with a dip.
Orange Chicken
Great vibrant colour here. The combination of oranges, soy and chilli is a good one.

@Elawin with Oven-Roasted Chicken with Sumac, Pomegranate Molasses, Chilli and Sesame Seeds
This is a lovely recipe. Sumac has a citrus taste, pomegranate molasses is sweet and sour, chilli for the heat and sesame seeds to bring it all down to earth. This recipe won the recent Spice Challenge

@Steven Lockhart with Manadonese Spicy Stewed Chicken
This was the third recipe I made. I can only say that it was really delicious and the use of turmeric is beautiful.

@meditran with 2 entries
Chicken cutlets with roasted pearl onions, grapes and balsamic glaze
This is a very pretty dish - I loved the idea of grapes and whole baby onions accompanying the breaded chicken.
Uovo in raviolo
A cheeky entry as it contained eggs not chicken! This was a very technically accomplished entry which looks beautiful.

This is undoubtedly the toughest recipe challenge I’ve ever had to judge. The standard is remarkably high. A big thank you to all who participated. After much deliberation I’m choosing Cupcake/Muffin Tin Thighs from Craig as the winning recipe. This recipe and the image of the sticky, smoky chicken stayed with me. Brilliant techniques and excellent step by step instructions. Congratulations @craig - its over to you to choose the next ingredient. Just post your choice below and we will start a new thread.

Runners up in descending order:
@Steven Lockhart
Manadonese Spicy Stewed Chicken
@medtran49
Chicken cutlets with roasted pearl onions, grapes and balsamic glaze
@detroitdad
Cajun Chicken Pasta
@flyinglentris 3 part recipe beginning with:
Chicken Aromatic and Long Grain Wild Rice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom