The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Chicken

orange-chicken-jpg.jpg

Orange Chicken.

I'm not a fan of getting it from the restaurant. I bet home made its fantastic.
Usually, when you see orange chicken at a restaurant, it's identical to sweet-and-sour chicken, but with an orange-based sauce (I've also seen places that make a lemon chicken that's also done the same way). I like the fact that it's a stir-fry instead of a deep fry on the chicken...it almost makes me feel like I'm eating something healthy, and it basically is. Here's what Genius Kitchen came up with when I entered the ingredients (though I accidentally put regular soy sauce instead of light soy sauce, so the sodium should be much lower):

Capture.JPG

@morning glory Its already MAR 1st. Lets here who the winner is :)

The Challenge deadline is March 11th! :D So - 10 days to go. We have generally been allowing 3 weeks for the Challenge to allow enough members time to enter. And also time for the judge to try out some of the recipes if they can.

The Challenge deadline is March 11th! :D So - 10 days to go. We have generally been allowing 3 weeks for the Challenge to allow enough members time to enter. And also time for the judge to try out some of the recipes if they can.

Darn, I didn't read the fine details sorry. I want to point out that I've checked the site every 6 minutes all morning hoping to see a winner LOL

Wow...you've really raised the bar with this one! There aren't 3 separate things that happen to be on the same plate together: they make sense together.

What I did was raise the bar on using up all that extra Chicken Aromatic and Long Grain Wild Rice. I have it on sides for just about everything right now. But it's sooooo good.

Today, the poppers are all gone. I might be inclined to make more of them though ... a future thing.

Time to jump in and do my last challenge entry: Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille

For those of you who don't speak, write or read French, Mijoteuse is slow cooking or the use of a crock pot, Poulet is Chicken and Cipaille is one of many names that are synonyms for a particular type of meat pie known as Sea Pie. So this meal is a Crock Pot slow cooked Chicken Sea Pie.

Certainly, many of you have heard of Pot Pies, Shepherd Pie, Scotch Pie and many others. I clued earlier by mentioning "Game of Thrones' Frey Pie" which was a humorous reference to Wyman Manderly having killed the three Freys and baked this meat pie using their remains. :) There is a well known Movie, "{Master and Commander, Far Side of The World" that shows the Captain and officers of HMS Surprise being served a Sea Pie, likely made with Pork. Sea Pies are so called because they were cooked and served to mariners at sea, again, usually pork. However, during the colonization of the Americas, Sea Pies evolved to include many other meats. These varsities are common in French Canada and the New England region of the US. Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille is inspired by its use in the Culinary Arts of Quebec by French Canadians. I have of course, created my own version of the dish which differs to some degree from what others may have done in the past.

Last edited:
Time to jump in and do my last challenge entry: Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille

For those of you who don't speak, write or read French, Mijoteuse is slow cooking or the use of a crock pot, Poulet is Chicken and Cipaille is one of many names that are synonyms for a particular type of meat pie known as Sea Pie. So this meal is a Crock Pot slow cooked Chicken Sea Pie.

Certainly, many of you have heard of Pot Pies, Shepherd Pie, Scotch Pie and many others. I clued earlier by mentioning "Game of Thrones' Frey Pie" which was a humorous reference to Wyman Manderly having killed the three Freys and baked this meat pie using their remains. :) There is a well known Movie, "{Master and Commander, Far Side of The World" that shows the Captain and officers of HMS Surprise being served a Sea Pie, likely made with Pork. Sea Pies are so called because they were cooked and served to mariners at sea, again, usually pork. However, during the colonization of the Americas, Sea Pies evolved to include many other meats. These varsities are common in French Canada and the New England region of the US. Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille is inspired by its use in the Culinary Arts of Quebec by French Canadians. I have of course, created my own version of the dish which differs to some degree from what others may have done in the past.

Fascinating! I'm intrigued to know how you can cook pie in a slow-cooker. Wouldn't the pastry go soggy?

Fascinating! I'm intrigued to know how you can cook pie in a slow-cooker. Wouldn't the pastry go soggy?

Yes. It is a big fat experiment in cooking. And I don't yet know how this will turn out, but I have my plans laid out. And I will chance to learn by my mistakes, if I make one. Stay tuned. I will post pictures regardless of how it turns out. And regardless, I think success or failed, it will be edible.

Back
Top Bottom