The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:51 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is corn and I am the current (somewhat reluctant!) judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe containing corn as a new thread, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. For the purposes of this challenge, any form of corn counts, including sweetcorn, polenta, cornflour (corn starch), corn syrup, popcorn or even cornflakes.

Some of you may know that I'm not a huge fan of corn so I'm hoping to be converted by your culinary corn creations.

Extended deadline: 12.00 midday Mon 29th June UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
I am so NOT entering this endeavor, but here's the fail making popcorn from a popcorn cob in my microwave:

I hit up a farmers' market one morning, and on a lark bought a cob of corn for popping. The instructions posted there included the note that you could pop your cob in your microwave. Holy moly, I thought, and took the ear of popcorn home. They’d already shucked it, but here you can see how it plays out next to a standard ear of sweet corn:

popcorn1.jpg

Well, I put the cob into a small glass pan. It wouldn’t quite fit even on the diagonal, but it did sorta jam down there a little. No photo. I wrapped paper towel around the ear and the glass dish, and placed it in the nuker.

At about the one minute mark the first kernel popped. The staccato effect continued on, until I stopped the microwave at the three minute mark, fearful of burning earlier-popped kernels. I opened up the unit:

ACK!!! It actually looked worse than that - opening the door resulted in a bunch falling out and onto the floor.

popcorn2.jpg

Okay, so I pulled the pan out, and this is what I had for food, minus the stuff that landed on the floor or remained behind in the microwave:

popcorn3.jpg

Note how the popped kernels had pushed the ear up and out of the pan.

The popcorn was a bit dry, but a little salt helped, and it was, all things considered, a good idea not to say, remember to pre-coat the cob with butter or something.

Anyhow pulling out the ear with the parts still attached to it, we see the following:

popcorn41.jpg

To sum this up, I have a LOT left over. Not counting the stuff that landed on the floor. Too bad I wasn’t planning on watching all three parts of the Lord of the Rings movie that afternoon.

OMG that is so cool! I think that would be a neat way to serve popcorn to kids, still attached to the cob. They would be fascinated!

Edited to add you would have to warn them to not try and nosh on the unpopped kernels or they would break teeth...yeah, maybe not a good idea after all.

Of course I have to present a question. Are corn products included - corn meal, corn flour? I wish this challenge was in August. We get Colorado Sweet Corn in August. The BEST, SWEETEST corn. I am thinking Maque Choux. What you find in restaurants and, unfortunately, many homes is made with canned corn. Fresh Maque Choux is something else. I have not made it in years. Past time to do so.

Of course I have to present a question. Are corn products included - corn meal, corn flour?

Read the intro post above! :D OK, I'll say it again - here is what it says:

For the purposes of this challenge, any form of corn counts, including sweetcorn, polenta, cornflour (corn starch), corn syrup, popcorn or even cornflakes.

No, no, that's not what I meant. I don't do cornflakes. Not that there is anything wrong with them. I have used them in the past as casserole topping. I was just envisioning someone trying to make cornflakes the star of a dish. Put some milk and bananas on it and call it a day? :rolleyes:

No, no, that's not what I meant. I don't do cornflakes. Not that there is anything wrong with them. I have used them in the past as casserole topping. I was just envisioning someone trying to make cornflakes the star of a dish. Put some milk and bananas on it and call it a day? :rolleyes:

I know - I mean I thought that. I was teasing.

Cornflakes work as a coating for chicken... :whistling:

Indeed.

I now have a challenge (I was missing that). My challenge is to make a gourmet dish featuring cornflakes. Watch this space.

I do have something in mind (nothing to do with cornflakes) that is a friends' and family favourite, but it's more of a cool weather dish so I am not sure. I will have to think on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom