The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: dark chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baby Back Ribs with Dark Chocolate Rub and Dark Chocolate BBQ Sauce

I certainly did not invent the cocoa rub or the cocoa BBQ sauce. I looked at some recipes, and the rubs seemed rather weak in the cocoa department, and heavy on the salt, so I took what I know about BBQ rubs, and came up with my own. The sauce was a modified version of a sauce by "Meathead" at amazingribs.com. Again, his recipe was really light on the cocoa -- and I didn't agree with some of the other ingredients.

As for cocoa flavor. The ribs, without sauce, were pretty smokey. The cocoa flavor was there, but VERY subtle. It was more pronounced in the rub itself. The sauce had a definite cocoa aroma, and a pleasant amount of cocoa flavor.

These ribs do not fit into any traditional BBQ category, like Carolina BBQ, Memphis BBQ or Texas BBQ. But, they were really good. I love the sauce! It would work on chicken, pork chops, or even a burger.

CocoaRibs001.jpg

CD

Last edited:

I will post a recipe thread as soon as I go though my notes and write up the recipe. I actually took notes. :eek::laugh:

I certainly did not invent the cocoa rub or the cocoa BBQ sauce. I looked at some recipes, and the rubs seemed rather weak in the cocoa department, and heavy on the salt, so I took what I now about BBQ rubs, and came up with my own. The sauce was a modified version of a sauce by "Meathead" at amazingribs.com. Again, his recipe was really light on the cocoa -- and I didn't agree with some of the other ingredients.

As for cocoa flavor. The ribs, without sauce, were pretty smokey. The cocoa flavor was there, but VERY subtle. It was more pronounced in the rub itself. The sauce had a definite cocoa aroma, and a pleasant amount of cocoa flavor.

These ribs do not fit into any traditional BBQ category, like Carolina BBQ, Memphis BBQ or Texas BBQ. But, they were really good. I love the sauce! It would work on chicken, pork chops, or even a burger.

View attachment 65323

CD
The colour, the photo...wow. surely the taste too.

The colour, the photo...wow. surely the taste too.

The color is very dark, but not burned. The cocoa rub was dark to begin with, and heat and smoke made it darker. The "bark" was not dry or tough -- just dark.

I used the same Smithfield ribs I used less than a month ago on Memorial Day. I'm sold on them. Very meaty.

CD

The color is very dark, but not burned. The cocoa rub was dark to begin with, and heat and smoke made it darker. The "bark" was not dry or tough -- just dark.

I used the same Smithfield ribs I used less than a month ago on Memorial Day. I'm sold on them. Very meaty.

CD
Everything looks just right. I sort of feel it through the photo. The idea is very creative too.
Although I do not eat meat currently, I can appreciate a good dish.
Well done.👏

I will post a recipe thread as soon as I go though my notes and write up the recipe. I actually took notes. :eek::laugh:

I certainly did not invent the cocoa rub or the cocoa BBQ sauce. I looked at some recipes, and the rubs seemed rather weak in the cocoa department, and heavy on the salt, so I took what I now about BBQ rubs, and came up with my own. The sauce was a modified version of a sauce by "Meathead" at amazingribs.com. Again, his recipe was really light on the cocoa -- and I didn't agree with some of the other ingredients.

View attachment 65323

CD

Excellent!

I still have a bunch of dark chocolate in my pantry, but no idea what to do with it. The chocolate and BBQ thing is something that has been bouncing around in my noggin for a long time, and I finally had a reason to play with it. Right now, I have no other ideas. But, I don't want to waste that chocolate. Hmmmmmmm.

CD

I still have a bunch of dark chocolate in my pantry, but no idea what to do with it. The chocolate and BBQ thing is something that has been bouncing around in my noggin for a long time, and I finally had a reason to play with it. Right now, I have no other ideas. But, I don't want to waste that chocolate. Hmmmmmmm.

CD

You have no sweet tooth? Plenty of desserts & cakes have chocolate.

I'm struggling to think of something to make too... I bought one bar of 75%.

CD
We get those here, too, Smithfield. I buy several of the babyback racks when they go on sale for $2.99 lb (sometimes $2.49 lb) and freeze them for future use. Normally they are $4.99 lb or more.

View attachment 65323

CD
Absolutely gorgeous bark. Holy crap, man…let’s see that recipe!

I have to file my taxes tonight (we got a special extension in Texas due to the Big Freeze). That has to be done, first. Then I'll see what I can do about the recipe (before I lose my notes).

CD
Ok, weird, I do my own complicated taxes too. Hope yours are easier! I did mine in May and it was ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom