The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: dark chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had the actual recipe this could be a winner, but I don't. It came off a Rice Crispies box. I got Grandma to make it.

The lower layer is cereal and something to hold it together. It is not sticky. Then on top of that is dark chocolate, but only lightly sweetened, the cereal has enough of that. Then there is another layer on top, same as the bottom.

If I remember right prep time was around an hour or so total. Shelf life was about seven minutes.

T

382CBCB0-93E0-4F1B-B3C5-9DF78393C47E.jpeg

Chimichurri Negro. To be honest, I thought of doing this when I saw the bunch of mint I had bought recently, and then saw Windigo's kladdkaka recipe. If we can have a chocolate mint cake, why not a chocolate mint sauce?

Recipe - Dark Chocolate Marinara Sauce

This is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to The Late Night Gourmet's chocolate mole - just a few ingredients and barely any effort at all.

That said, this is pretty good stuff. What I really like about this is that the chocolate, instead of just being added strictly for the purpose of adding it, really contributes. It gives the sauce a beautifully deep color - you know the old saying about eating with your eyes...one look at this sauce, and you want to try it.

With the texture, there is a hint of smoothness in there that reminds me of when my mom would something add a lump of butter to her sauce - it feels quite luxurious.

Flavorwise...just a little undertone of bitterness, but not in a bad way, just in a way that says, "This sauce is for a sophisticated palate."

So, yes, very pleased with this, it'll get made again, and it'll be fun the next time we have people over, to not-so-secretly drop some chocolate in the spaghetti sauce, just to get their attention. :wink:

Well, I've come up with a couple more ideas for dark chocolate recipes. But I can't start on any of the ones I have on my list, until I get back from grocery shopping this weekend. I need more half n half, oranges, bananas, refried beans and yes, instead of cocoa powder, actual chocolate bars.

No, I'm not making chocolate oranges and banana mixed with refried beans. Those things go into three different recipes, but are right now, missing from what I need.

Last edited:
I am prepping for an all day cook tomorrow for the challenge. I need a spice rub. I've been making spice rubs for years, so I don't need a recipe. I wanted to use chipotle pepper powder. I grow jalapeƱo peppers, and at the end of the growing season, I smoke/dry them to make chipotles. I had a bag from September of 2019, so I decided I better test for flavor. I took a small piece of one, and put it in my mouth. Within seconds, my tongue was on FIRE! :hyper: Yeah, I think they are still good. :laugh:

CD

Dark chocolate is high on my list of favorite foods. For Christmas last year I gifted my family with dark Chocolate truffles. In addition to my Drunk Pork Roast and Savory Sweet Potato Casserole I brought a platter of dark chocolate coated pretzels, bacon and ruffled potato chips (potato crisp). Thanksgiving I contributed a platter of Ooey Gooey Dark Chocolate Brownies. I had to drag my Great Nephew away from the desert table. Left alone he would have eaten the entire platter of brownies.
This challenge requires some thought and a trip to the market. Dark Chocolate deserts are plentiful. I would like to try a savory recipe. That is my personal challenge.
Thanks medtran49 and congratulations on the win. Your winning recipe is mouth watering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom