The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

I want to post a memorable egg including recipe that I did long ago. It was soooo good.

Seafood Chakchouka

full.png

Of course, I can't enter it in this challenge.

There is however, a recent meal I made that I never posted a recipe for that I will generate the recipe now and enter it in the challenge, - Tempura Udon.

full.jpg

My tempura udon, like many udons, features an egg laid down over the top, just before serving.

The recipe is one that I really ought to share with everyone. Expect to see it soon.

I want to post a memorable egg including recipe that I did long ago. It was soooo good.

Seafood Chakchouka

View attachment 70117

Of course, I can't enter it in this challenge.

There is however, a recent meal I made that I never posted a recipe for that I will generate the recipe now and enter it in the challenge, - Tempura Udon.

View attachment 70118

My tempura udon, like many udons, features an egg laid down over the top, just before serving.

The recipe is one that I really ought to share with everyone. Expect to see it soon.

Lovely little presentation there mate. I'm gonna get some sake now :).

Another late afternoon, another cocktail:

Recipe - Port Flip Cocktail

Ingredients:

The finished drink:

Unlike yesterday's summertime libation, this one is much more suited to the dead of winter, by a fire, perhaps reading some wordy Edwardian prose. This is a serious drink!

There's a heaviness to it, with the brandy and the port, and the usually light egg white is less a cloud and more like a carpet of snow, I think, and that bit of bulk is accentuated by serving this room-temperature, instead of chilled. You know...add some mulling spices, and you've got a perfect holiday sipper, better for a mug than a glass.

As to that glass...wide top and flat bottom, so that's the closest to the recommended coupe I could manage. :laugh:

I hadn't planned to post this, but it's my favorite way to deal with leftover mashed potatoes, so when I added the eggs, I thought, "Why not?"

Recipe - Mashed Potato Soufflé (Mont Pommes D'or)

The prep:

Assembled:

Ready to eat:

Yes!

I used to always use up leftover mashed potatoes by pan-frying them into cakes - this is so much easier and nowhere near as messy, and it's so, so satisfying. MrsT claims these are better than they are in their original form, and that's saying something. She now insists that I make a double batch of mashed potatoes, just so we can have this the next day.

This is also a highly customizable dish; just about any cheese works for the shredded stuff. I've used cheddar, Swiss, gouda, farmer's...in the photo above, I used edam. It's all good.

The ingredient amounts in my photos don't align with the recipe as posted because I had closer to three cups of leftover potatoes, so I adjusted accordingly.

Another late afternoon, another cocktail:

Recipe - Port Flip Cocktail

Ingredients:

The finished drink:

Unlike yesterday's summertime libation, this one is much more suited to the dead of winter, by a fire, perhaps reading some wordy Edwardian prose. This is a serious drink!

There's a heaviness to it, with the brandy and the port, and the usually light egg white is less a cloud and more like a carpet of snow, I think, and that bit of bulk is accentuated by serving this room-temperature, instead of chilled. You know...add some mulling spices, and you've got a perfect holiday sipper, better for a mug than a glass.

As to that glass...wide top and flat bottom, so that's the closest to the recommended coupe I could manage. :laugh:
You may not be the Egg Man. However, it's clear, sir, that you are the Egg Drink Man.

I'm kind of curious why when I do a search, I don't find any examples of anybody ever using an egg wash on baked goods.

An egg wash is used to give crusts and baked good surfaces a sort of 'shine'.
I use egg washes on pastries, baked goods.

For an egg wash, do members typically set aside some egg white, egg yolk or whole egg? Do you use a whole new egg or just skim off some egg from the egg(s) you may be using in a recipe?

If whole new eggs are used, that seems to me to be more added to the egg budget.
For some reason, I don't have to worry about my egg budget. Maybe in February when the egg production slows down to a crawl.

I also don't make pastries / baked goods all that often, if truth be said.

Mostly I use whole eggs, with a little water. Sometimes just egg whites, with a little water. I can always re-purpose yolks. Combined with a couple other whole eggs, an additional yolk makes for fantastic scrambled eggs.

.Summer storm rolling through, making the kitchen a little dark.

Strange - you use an iPhone - it should cope with dark natural light conditions. My Samsung Galaxy certainly can. But you photo looks as if you have a light switched on causing an orange look compared to the 'blue' daylight beyond.

Not including as a recipe, because all I did was pour some eggs in, but I wanted to show off the novelty of it:

Yes, you can cook eggs in a waffle iron. That's four eggs (so enough for 2-4 people), with tomato, cheese, and chives mixed in. Took two minutes in a very well lubricated waffle iron.

I have to say...they weren't bad at all, and MrsT loved them.

Strange - you use an iPhone - it should cope with dark natural light conditions. My Samsung Galaxy certainly can. But you photo looks as if you have a light switched on causing an orange look compared to the 'blue' daylight beyond.
That one did have the light turned on. This is the one without the light:

I didn't care for either one, sort of like, "Would you like a stubbed toe or a thumb in the eye?" :laugh:

That one did have the light turned on. This is the one without the light:
View attachment 70201

I didn't care for either one, sort of like, "Would you like a stubbed toe or a thumb in the eye?" :laugh:

It may be because you had the window in shot so the auto tries to adjust for both. At some point try taking a low light image with the window out of shot and no artificial light on.

Back
Top Bottom