The CookingBites recipe challenge: gelatine (or plant based alternative)

Mung bean powder? Hmmm, will have to investigate!

Glass noodles are commonly made from mung bean starch.
Will try and find something different to use up the remaining agar agar which was quite expensive ( had to source it from a health supply shop).

Wow! Its cheap as chips here...

wp-1644249193800.jpg

This is what I could use and there is enough to gelatinise 750l juice, but who would like to eat it? They're produced by Alberty Ferran Adria and they've created a lot of nice dishes around gelatin

View attachment 80567
This is what I could use and there is enough to gelatinise 750l juice, but who would like to eat it? They're produced by Alberty Ferran Adria and they've created a lot of nice dishes around gelatin

Go for it. Created by the great Ferran Adria!

I was going to mention that gelatine (or plant substitutes) can be used for spherification.

Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is gelatine (or plant based alternative) and TastyReuben is judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** using gelatine or a plant based alternative**, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Deadline: midday UK time (GMT) Sunday 27th February. Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.
** common plant based alternatives are agar agar and carrageen. There are also brand name products such as Dr Oetker vege-gel.
Okay, like I mentioned before, I do not have any agar agar or carageen (or mung bean powder). I do have other thickening agents that are plant based (Xanthum gum, corn starch). I am just not going to go out and buy agar agar or carageen and have it sit in my cabinet for a couple of years before I toss it out after only having used it once.

Okay, like I mentioned before, I do not have any agar agar or carageen (or mung bean powder). I do have other thickening agents that are plant based (Xanthum gum, corn starch). I am just not going to go out and buy agar agar or carageen and have it sit in my cabinet for a couple of years before I toss it out after only having used it once.

No gelatine either?

Hey! Lets get some positive thoughts going here. I remembered today that medtran49 posted a Chinese dumpling with a gelatine gravy filling which melts inside the wrapper when its steamed and then spills deliciously into the bowl when you cut into it. I think I attempted it myself but medtran49's was better. I can't remember what its called but its another, different take on using gelatine.

Back
Top Bottom