The CookingBites recipe challenge: gelatine (or plant based alternative)

No gelatine either?

Hey! Lets get some positive thoughts going here. I remembered today that medtran49 posted a Chinese dumpling with a gelatine gravy filling which melts inside the wrapper when its steamed and then spills deliciously into the bowl when you cut into it. I think I attempted it myself but medtran49's was better. I can't remember what its called but its another, different take on using gelatine.
No gelatine here, don't use it for anything I cook.

No gelatine either?

Hey! Lets get some positive thoughts going here. I remembered today that medtran49 posted a Chinese dumpling with a gelatine gravy filling which melts inside the wrapper when its steamed and then spills deliciously into the bowl when you cut into it. I think I attempted it myself but medtran49's was better. I can't remember what its called but its another, different take on using gelatine.

That is a soup dumpling. I believe that the Chinese just use the natural collagen from the soup (cooled) to firm the soup before they wrap it and steam the dumpling.

CD

That is a soup dumpling. I believe that the Chinese just use the natural collagen from the soup (cooled) to firm the soup before they wrap it and steam the dumpling.

CD

Yes - so it contains gelatine from the cooled soup. That counts, if anyone wants to try it.
No gelatine here, don't use it for anything I cook.

Hey, I've lost count of the times I've bought ingredients to experiment with and enter challenges! Adventure is important to me, although I wouldn't spend a lot of money on an ingredient I was not likely to use again. Gelatine is cheap. But if you don't want to enter then its perfectly fine.

I'm just trying to encourage people to give this challenge a go. Gelatine seems to have a bad press in the USA but probably not so much elsewhere. There are loads of ways it can be used to great effect.

Yes - so it contains gelatine from the cooled soup. That counts, if anyone wants to try it.

Hey, I've lost count of the times I've bought ingredients to experiment with and enter challenges! Adventure is important to me, although I wouldn't spend a lot of money on an ingredient I was not likely to use again. Gelatine is cheap. But if you don't want to enter then its perfectly fine.

I'm just trying to encourage people to give this challenge a go. Gelatine seems to have a bad press in the USA but probably not so much elsewhere. There are loads of ways it can be used to great effect.
I just don't like the idea of gelatin, that's all. If I want to use something to thicken or congeal food, it's not going to be gelatin.

I was just speaking with my hairstylist (who’s a graduate of a culinary arts school and a trained pastry chef, so she’s not some hack), and she said she likes to use gelatin to make foods that don’t look like what they are.

She caters on the side and I’ve seen her work; it’s impressive. What she does is take carrot, for example, and use it with gelatin to make something that looks like an unpeeled orange, or cherry tomatoes made from strawberries. Very arty.

I was just speaking with my hairstylist (who’s a graduate of a culinary arts school and a trained pastry chef, so she’s not some hack), and she said she likes to use gelatin to make foods that don’t look like what they are.

She caters on the side and I’ve seen her work; it’s impressive. What she does is take carrot, for example, and use it with gelatin to make something that looks like an unpeeled orange, or cherry tomatoes made from strawberries. Very arty.

Interesting. Maybe you could persuade her to join the forum...

No gelatine either?

The gelling agent was from the pig's feet and skin I used to make the pork broth.

If you use beef marrow bones to make stock, it will gel too.

Last edited:
The next idea I have is for a dessert. Desserts are a bit out of my comfort zone but I'm hoping it will look pretty. Strawberries have been purchased...
Anybody remember the fresh strawberry pies made with the gelatin stuff then piled high with whipped cream? I loved going to Big Boys/Shony's and having their pie as a kid.

Anybody remember the fresh strawberry pies made with the gelatin stuff then piled high with whipped cream? I loved going to Big Boys/Shony's and having their pie as a kid.
You bet. That was my granddad’s favorite pie.

They still make them at Big Boy’s, both full-sized and individual, called a pie baby:

Frisch’s Big Boy photo

Can't believe nobody has mentioned a traditional aspic with clearish beef broth, bits of animal protein, HB eggs, cheese, veges, etc in it, arranged to make a pleasing mosaic like pattern. There's a recipe with ideas in my Hubert Keller cookbook with picture. It's something I've thought about making from time to time.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned a traditional aspic with clearish beef broth, bits of animal protein, HB eggs, cheese, veges, etc in it, arranged to make a pleasing mosaic like pattern. There's a recipe with ideas in my Hubert Keller cookbook with picture. It's something I've thought about making from time to time.
I wanted to make that...at the time I was not eating meat, so now that I am, it is closer to realization. I will see if I find the time, I like the ide. My Grandmother used to make it from time to time. It was as classic as it gets with meat and bones doing their magic, as far as I recall...

I didn't mention it but have thought about it. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom