The CookingBites recipe challenge: gelatine (or plant based alternative)

We’re down to just six days, so I thought I’d add my own gelatin dessert, just for fun:

That’s a box of orange gelatin dessert (Jell-O), with orange sherbet stirred in, along with some mandarin orange segments added.

Smoked Salmon with Cucumber Jelly

So here´s something I do for parties occasionally. Easy to make and fun to eat! You can serve it on a little dish, in a spoon, in a shot glass - the possibilities are endless if you´re creative.
In the photo below, I bought some little candleholders and used those for the presentation.
I think you could also add a shot of gin or vodka to the jelly, which would make it interesting. I have never tried, but I don´t see why it wouldn´t work.

Smoked Salmon with Cucumber Jelly

So here´s something I do for parties occasionally. Easy to make and fun to eat! You can serve it on a little dish, in a spoon, in a shot glass - the possibilities are endless if you´re creative.
In the photo below, I bought some little candleholders and used those for the presentation.
I think you could also add a shot of gin or vodka to the jelly, which would make it interesting. I have never tried, but I don´t see why it wouldn´t work.
View attachment 81317
I don’t eat salmon, but I love the idea of the cucumber gelatin. That sounds very crisp and clean-tasting. Well done!

Well, I may or may not have enough battery juice in my camera to take or post pictures - we shall see. I've torn up the place looking for the charger, too. It will show up when no longer needed... And I am between cell phones.

At any rate, I now have: lime jell-o (for the cucumber jello dish Mom used to make, plain gelatin OR agar agar (will make a choice) for making Mom's tomato aspic, or similar enough. She never used agar-agar, but I figure to try one of my gelatin plans vegan-style. Even if using agar-agar might make me feel like I'm back in a microbiology lab!

I didn't take her jello molds when she offered during the parental downsizing events of 1999/2000, so they got sold at a tag sale. I ordered one that came in last week, so I really do hope I can get photos for the effort.

Well, so I can at least post & enter something.... we will see about the other dishes.... here's an older recipe of mine never before brought here.

Head Cheese / Souse.

(Come to think of it, it is also technically a meat loaf.... for that other current topic!)

head-cheese-done.jpg

Both the trotters and areas of the head meat are high in gelatin-producing collagen.

Back
Top Bottom