The CookingBites recipe challenge: gelatine (or plant based alternative)

Okay, I aim to win this time. I centered this YouTubes video on this challenge: Japanese Rare Cheesecake, which is set with gelatin. I made a stepped down version starting with a recipe that yields 124 calories per slice, then 62 calories per slice, and finishing off with 32 calories per serving -- and it's good no matter which version you choose. As a bonus, I threw in a high protein version as well. :D

This is how I ended up eating a whole matcha cheesecake after dinner 🐮.
I can’t wait to see it!

I can’t wait to see it!

Well, here's a preview. The white is light 'n airy with whipped milk. That matcha one is denser and creamier without the foam and the death of my sleep schedule. 😆
cheesecake thumbnail-24-Editfinal.png

I like how the challenge is shaping up. You have a legitimate set of choices now, and there may be more in the next few days. I actually bought another box of gelatin(e) yesterday, and while I probably won't submit another entry, I do want to try making some of the great recipes that I've seen posted here.

I did it, I did it:D
I got the meat, cooked it yesterday afternoon, the aspic is cooling down overnight, it is breakfast time, so in an hour or so, I will be taking it out and trying and plating. And writing the recipe, ofc.

I did a pomegranate jelly. Should I enter the jelly too?

View attachment 81552
It was later in the evening, kid took these photos, we could not avoid the shades, but they are nice anyway.

I used a 'cake cover' powder, which is based on caraneegan. The reason asking is I do not feel I did much except bought the juice and followed the isntructions on the package...

( it was so much fun, i never cooked with gelatine before)

View attachment 81554

View attachment 81553
I adore this! So pretty and so clever :thumbsup:

I’ve arrived at a decision, finally. :)

I knew when I chose this ingredient that it could land flat, but a dozen or so entrants, I feel, is a good showing, considering gelatin(e) probably isn’t the first thing that people think of when compiling a list of common ingredients. That’s a testament to the creativity and enthusiasm of the members we have here. Well done, the lot of you, I wish I could award you all first place!

Alas, one must be chosen, and I name as the winner of this challenge… Timenspace and her impressive baby beef aspic:

Recipe - Baby beef aspic

Judging was close, and difficult, but in the end, I was very impressed with the method, and at the very beginning of this challenge, I mentioned a similar dish we had on a trip to Vienna, where the menu for the evening was reproduced from a 19th century dinner party of the Hapsburg court - I love that historical connection.

Thank you, Timenspace, for giving us a beautiful dish that no doubt tastes as good as it looks. It’s now for you to choose the next ingredient and judge our next challenge!

Thanks to all who participated, and all who joined in the discussion.

Alas, one must be chosen, and I name as the winner of this challenge… @Timenspace and her impressive baby beef aspic:

Congratulations Timenspace! I was impressed by this recipe too.

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.

I’ve arrived at a decision, finally. :)

I knew when I chose this ingredient that it could land flat, but a dozen or so entrants, I feel, is a good showing, considering gelatin(e) probably isn’t the first thing that people think of when compiling a list of common ingredients. That’s a testament to the creativity and enthusiasm of the members we have here. Well done, the lot of you, I wish I could award you all first place!

Alas, one must be chosen, and I name as the winner of this challenge… Timenspace and her impressive baby beef aspic:

Recipe - Baby beef aspic

Judging was close, and difficult, but in the end, I was very impressed with the method, and at the very beginning of this challenge, I mentioned a similar dish we had on a trip to Vienna, where the menu for the evening was reproduced from a 19th century dinner party of the Hapsburg court - I love that historical connection.

Thank you, Timenspace, for giving us a beautiful dish that no doubt tastes as good as it looks. It’s now for you to choose the next ingredient and judge our next challenge!

Thanks to all who participated, and all who joined in the discussion.
Oh wow...I was before a school concert,when I glanced the emails mentioning Cookingbites,and you and MG, and I did not think much, I have a cold,and it was a long day...then I saw MG sent a personal message explaining,and I went bubbled all up inside, my Goodness, I am so proud,happy and it really is unbelievable. My first challenge win!

I honestly thought the aspic tasted great, but it did not cut well,so I guessed it is out of the game...but it won instead.

Thank you so much. I too love oldfashioned recipes and oldfashioned slow cooking...

Congratulations to all members who submitted, There were outstanding dishes!

I am a novice Judge,so will ask for advice now and then.🤓

May I have 24-48 h to choose an ingredient, it is a busy day tomorrow...Fri night or Sat morning is my estimate...

Thank you 😄✨🥂

May I have 24-48 h to choose an ingredient, it is a busy day tomorrow...Fri night or Sat morning is my estimate...

That's fine. No problem. Check out the previous ingredients here in date order and here in alphabetical order. It just needs to be something reasonably available in most of our countries. It doesn't matter if its been chosen before so long as it wasn't too recently. Keep it simple is usually a good idea!

That's fine. No problem. Check out the previous ingredients here in date order and here in alphabetical order. It just needs to be something reasonably available in most of our countries. It doesn't matter if its been chosen before so long as it wasn't too recently. Keep it simple is usually a good idea!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom