The CookingBites recipe challenge: lemons and/or limes

That's odd. Well, I think its odd as it is quite similar to lemon in some ways. Can you pinpoint what it is you don't like?
To me, lemon and lime taste nothing alike, apart from the texture. Lemons are bright - I can eat a lemon slice and it’s refreshing, even if it’s a little tart.

Lime has a very earthy, almost dirty taste to me. It doesn’t have that cleansing characteristic to me at all. If I happen to taste lime on its own, I always feel like I have to rinse my mouth out, it’s such a harsh flavor.

But things with lime in them, I generally like quite a bit, except for key lime pie. Can’t stand that stuff.

Lime has a very earthy, almost dirty taste to me. It doesn’t have that cleansing characteristic to me at all. If I happen to taste lime on its own, I always feel like I have to rinse my mouth out, it’s such a harsh flavor.

You are right it has a much harsher flavour. Did you know its an ingredient of coca cola?

Have you ever tried kaffir lime leaves? They really don't have that harshness and are magically aromatic. Same goes for dried limes.

I´d agree with you both that lime is much more citric and assertive than lemon, but after 40 years of limes (which are called "lemons" in Spanish, just to confuse things), I now find lemons a bit watery and weak.

I'm with MG - what is off putting about limes, if you enjoy lemon? Yes, there's a slightly different aroma, but still in the same family.
Yeah, I can't wrap my head around that, either. I adore limes. They go great in Mexican beer for one, and margaritas, and lime sherbert (though I like lemon and orange as well). And wonderful in tacos, salsa, guacamole, and so much more!

But he doesn't like honey, either, and that's one of my favorite things in the world (great topping for pancakes, BTW).

But I am sure he will find his way around it.

Anyone remember this winning entry from our judge murphyscreek? I was drooling on my keyboard.

Recipe & Video - Seared Scallops With Ginger, Garlic Butter and Finger Limes

1650740715055.png

When we were planning our road trip from AZ to FL many folks told us that if ever there's Key Lime Pie on the menu, try it.
Each one we tasted was different, but I have no marker for what's god and what's not.
And TastyReuben I can see where limes all by themselves would be unpleasant tasting for you, but mixed in to something would be a different ball gam.

When we were planning our road trip from AZ to FL many folks told us that if ever there's Key Lime Pie on the menu, try it.
Each one we tasted was different, but I have no marker for what's god and what's not.
And TastyReuben I can see where limes all by themselves would be unpleasant tasting for you, but mixed in to something would be a different ball gam.
Some I have had were too sweet. I lived in Florida for over 35 years and it's pretty common on restaurant menus there, even outside of Key West. Some are great, some are not. I have been to the Keys at least 20 times, great fun, great fishing.

I was looking online to see where I could get finger limes. Nowhere. I even checked Amazon. There was someone selling them there previously but they got horrible reviews, people said that the fruit arrived dry and withered. Apparently you can purchase the seeds or plants, but no fruit.

I was looking online to see where I could get finger limes. Nowhere. I even checked Amazon. There was someone selling them there previously but they got horrible reviews, people said that the fruit arrived dry and withered. Apparently you can purchase the seeds or plants, but no fruit.
Haha, it’s actually on my list to check a couple of places around here.

I don’t know what I’d do with them, but I’m curious about it.

Haha, it’s actually on my list to check a couple of places around here.

I don’t know what I’d do with them, but I’m curious about it.
It looks like there's a lot of things one can do with them, especially seafood dishes (which I know you won't be doing lol) but desserts and other items.

It looks like there's a lot of things one can do with them, especially seafood dishes (which I know you won't be doing lol) but desserts and other items.
Yeah, reading about them, everything was, “…and put them on fish!” - which I mentally finished with, “…and then throw it in the garbage!” :laugh:

Yeah, reading about them, everything was, “…and put them on fish!” - which I mentally finished with, “…and then throw it in the garbage!” :laugh:
No, Mrs T would eat it, right?

Back
Top Bottom