The CookingBites recipe challenge: lemons and/or limes

Cosmopolitan Cocktail My Way

IMG_1552.JPG

OH_MY_GAWD!!!
I make this cocktail for my Neighborhood Gal Pals when we get together to play cards/games.
I'd never tried it before, but man oh man, now I know why they want me to bring this along!

IMG_1553.JPG

That's DANGERIOUSLY DELICIOUS!!!

Last edited:
This dish is a classic all across South and Central America, from Perú to México.
In Venezuela it´s a very popular dish and does not use hot chiles; rather, it uses a totally innocuous but very flavourful chile called "ají dulce"
It´s important to use really high quality fish for this dish; otherwise it´s chewy and unpleasant.
If you want to add avocado, or tomatoes, it´s up to you, but the dish really doesn´t need it.
Any liquid left over can be saved for the following day, when it´s mixed with local hooch and called "leche de tigre" (Tiger´s milk)
The photo is from my nephew´s wedding, where I also made tuna tartare and classic prawn cocktails. The edible flowers on the dishes were a not-very-successful attempt by a catering company to make all the dishes look nice!!
Ceviche
View attachment 84098
I love ceviche. And, as the weather warms up, I want to get some fresh fish and make it. Lime is key to the “cooking” that happens. It’s times like this I wish I didn’t post every recipe that I make. I will make this, but I’m not sure if I can enter it, since it’s very likely I posted a ceviche recipe already.

Recipe - Ginger-Lime Hummus

This is a nice little variation on yer traditional hummus. We like to have hummus on hot summer days, out on the porch, and the next time we do that, this will be the hummus we use - the lime juice gives it a refreshing aspect, and the ginger has just a little bite to it, to really liven the dish up.

One side note - the store was completely out of pita bread, so I had to substitute naan for that, and I really think I prefer it. After 10 minutes in a 400F oven, they were nice and crunchy on the outside and still soft in the middle.

Neither of these could be described as a recipe! Lately I've been making a delicious marinade for cooked prawns with roasted garlic, lime juice, preserved lemons + liquid, parsley and coriander leaves and olive oil. Again, hardly a recipe worthy of the name.
View attachment 84280

Looks like recipes to me...

Looks like recipes to me...
Nah! The preserved lemons are just lemon segments, lemon juice and lots of salt.
The lime pickle is very loosely based on a recipe in Indian Cookery by Dharamjit Singh (Penguin, 1970, reprint 1971,2,3,4).
Here's a photo from my rather foxed copy.* I no longer add bay leaf strips, as they don't add much to the flavour and are a PITA to pick out.
I also hold back slightly on the chilli and ginger. Jars of this can keep for years, but rarely last that long chez Veed.

The marinated prawns is my adaptation of this Waitrose product. I 'roast' the unpeeled garlic by spraying with olive oil and cooking over medium heat in a covered saucepan for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, then crushing. Lime juice instead of lemon juice, for no particular reason, coriander (cilantro) as well as parsley, no rapeseed (canola) oil, lemon oil or cornflour. If using raw prawns they can be cooked in the same pan after the garlic, with a little more olive oil.

*[Mod.edit: I had to remove the photo as our site rules do not allow photos of recipes in cookery books due to copyright laws (MG)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Recipe - Lime-Yogurt Sauce

Who says recipes can't be simple? This one is very easy, just a few ingredients whisked together, and you're done.

This is also a very versatile thing, as most sauces are: is it a dip for veggies, a side sauce for meats, a salad dressing, a taco topper, a chicken wing dipper?...Yes! It's all those things, and more (marinade, perhaps?)!

I was looking online to see where I could get finger limes. Nowhere. I even checked Amazon. There was someone selling them there previously but they got horrible reviews, people said that the fruit arrived dry and withered. Apparently you can purchase the seeds or plants, but no fruit.
They are dry & withered compared to other citrus so the reviewer could possibly be just not familiar. They have a more papery skin and inside there isn’t really any juice.

They are dry & withered compared to other citrus so the reviewer could possibly be just not familiar. They have a more papery skin and inside there isn’t really any juice.
It was multiple reviewers, I don't think anyone gave them a good review. So I dunno, all I know is that they are not available on Amazon anymore.

It was multiple reviewers, I don't think anyone gave them a good review. So I dunno, all I know is that they are not available on Amazon anymore.
I'd say there must be something wrong with them if it was multiple reviews. I don't know, I might be biased, but I can't imagine how anyone couldn't like that burst of citrusy freshness as those little balls pop inside your mouth with each bite.

This is one of my very early videos and the first time I showcased finger limes in a recipe. And yes, it is a fish dish!!

View: https://youtu.be/IzKocom8vt0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom