The CookingBites recipe challenge: lemons and/or limes

Any chance of an extension murphyscreek? I have one more entry and for some reason thought the deadline was midnight Saturday UK time rather than tonight.
Actually, that would rather suit me. As I type this it's Saturday morning and have got a hectic weekend planned. Can we move the deadline to Monday night?

I'm sorry that travel and work have kept me out of this challenge. But, I did just buy a bag of limes, and I plan to look here for some great ideas of how to use them. :chef:
That will be cool. I had in plan to do a challenge bake, but had completely forgotten about it, in all honesty. Opening up the forum this Sunday morning, now, I saw the pictures and went, oooooh.....
We shall see if I can still manage...if not, I will do as you do, collect the wonderful recipes and ideas and try them out.

Hi guys, just a quick heads up. Due to time differences and that I'm working a 6am -2pm shift tomorrow, there'll be a little delay before I post results. My best estimate (given my terrible maths) is around mid morning Monday GMT+1.

Hi guys, just a quick heads up. Due to time differences and that I'm working a 6am -2pm shift tomorrow, there'll be a little delay before I post results. My best estimate (given my terrible maths) is around mid morning Monday GMT+1.

murphyscreek the deadline has been extended to midnight Monday GMT + .1.

For you, that means the deadline for entries is 9 AM Tuseday your time. So you don't need to judge anything until Tuesday morning your time.

I used lemons three ways here!

Recipe - Tray baked chicken thighs with preserved lemon, saffron and potatoes

That's perfect as I have the day off Tuesday.
Best way of remembering it is that the UK live in the past! Lol.

I frequently joke about it with my parents being in the dark ages! (They've already gone to bed...) just my warped sender of humor. I only then have to suss if it is 9 hours or 11 hours behind us (currently 9)...

Ok guys, unfortunately for me judging time is upon us. And I say unfortunately, only because it's such a difficult task made more difficult by the high standard of each and every entry. As per my policy in the past, I've refrained from commenting on entries as we go, or giving likes and such, but I have certainly been reading and scrutinizing entries along the way. Just keep in mind this is one person's subjective view, objectively any of the entries this month could have been winners.

Some honorable mentions:

Morning Glory - As always a very high standard of entries. And also as always, so beautifully photographed and presented. The Crab Cakes With Burnt Lime and Avocado Dressing was so close to being the winning entry. Recipe - Crab cakes with burnt lime and avocado dressing
TastyReuben - Ginger Lime Hummus? I never would have thought of that, but I am now!! Washed down with a Lime Drop Martini...why not? Recipe - Ginger-Lime Hummus
SatNavSaysStraightOn - Those Zesty Lime and Pistachio Tarts were also very, very close to winning. Recipe - Zesty Lime & Pistachio Tarts
Windigo - Very tasty sounding Low Cal Lemon Muffins....as a more rotund individual am always looking for lower cal alternatives. Recipe - Lower calorie lemon muffins
medtran49 - Lemon Garlicky Roast Chicken With Fennel and Onion with those classic flavours rated very highly in my books. Recipe - Lemony, garlicky roasted chicken with fennel and onions
ElizabethB - Lemon Crinkle Cookies looked absolutely mouth watering. Recipe - Lemon Crinkle Cookies
Yorky - Smoked Salmon and Honey and Lime Glazed Prawn Salad, honey and lime is one of my favourite flavour combos. Your dish looked superb. Recipe - Smoked salmon and honey and lime glazed prawn salad
kaneohegirlinaz - Thanks so much for your recipe for Meyer Lemon Curd. It rated really highly and I'll definitely be making this. Ditto for your Cosmopolitan Cocktail My Way. Recipe - Meyer Lemon Curd

But the winner this month was an early submission and once I scored it I knew it was going to be hard to beat. I wanted to taste it straight away, and I can't wait to make it for myself. Not only that, but it opened my eyes that there is a unique Peruvian cuisine that I've yet to explore in my own kitchen, which I am looking forward to rectifying.

So congratulations karadekoolaid and your recipe for Ceviche (Recipe - Ceviche) as this month's winner!

Last edited:
Congratulations karadekoolaid!

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.

Wow! I´m surprised, honoured and humbled! Thanks, murphyscreek - and I hope you enjoy making the ceviche. You´ll love it, I´m sure.
And the yellow (orange) peppers you´ve bought are spot on - exactly the same chiles (or ajíes) I´d use to make the ceviche.
Spike the leche de tigre with some vodka or tequila. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom