The CookingBites recipe challenge: lemons and/or limes

I was looking online to see where I could get finger limes. Nowhere. I even checked Amazon. There was someone selling them there previously but they got horrible reviews, people said that the fruit arrived dry and withered. Apparently you can purchase the seeds or plants, but no fruit.

They are dry & withered compared to other citrus so the reviewer could possibly be just not familiar. They have a more papery skin and inside there isn’t really any juice.
I'd say there must be something wrong with them if it was multiple reviews. I don't know, I might be biased, but I can't imagine how anyone couldn't like that burst of citrusy freshness as those little balls pop inside your mouth with each bite.

We used to have a tree in a huge pot (I let it die :thumbsdown: because I didn't water) and they can dry up inside if left on tree too long (or the tree doesn't get enough water) or picked and in fridge too long.

Last edited:
I was looking online to see where I could get finger limes. Nowhere. I even checked Amazon. There was someone selling them there previously but they got horrible reviews, people said that the fruit arrived dry and withered. Apparently you can purchase the seeds or plants, but no fruit.
There's a store on Etsy with good reviews that says they have them. Not cheap though.

There's a farmers market we visit once in a while that has more exotic fruits and veges. I've never noticed finger limes but will look and ask if they ever have them next time we go, then send you some if/when they do.

Hi! Congrats and lovely to see lemon and lime, I might have my hands on a baking recipe with them. I gave a promise to myself I would try to bake a bit more, for the week ahead, to bring along to work. I ended buying bakery items far too often...the last couple of weeks.

Recipe - Lemony, garlicky roasted chicken with fennel and onions
full.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully I'll get chance to write these up..
Edit to add, written up here Recipe - Lemon or Lime Jelly

I actually made them for TastyReuben gelatin challenge but wasn't happy with the recipe. If I change from lemon to lime, I reckon they'll be a lot better... the lime version will get photos tomorrow, it's in progress at present.

Last edited:
Made it again today with limes. 3 large limes and limited the total liquid content to 500ml. So much more flavour. Didn't quite use enough maple syrup (50g) so had to add a little extras to serve. (Apologies for the less than green limes, mine are heading towards yellow (so ripening), and I had already zested the lime as well... :whistling:

It will make an excellent dairy free lemon or lime curd.

Back
Top Bottom