The CookingBites recipe challenge: lemons and/or limes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:05 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is lemons and/or limes* and murphyscreek is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses lemons and/or limes, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight Monday 16th May (GMT+1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* includes calamansi and finger limes.
** Recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
Hi Morning Glory , just to clarify. Calamansi aren't finger limes. They're like a small cumquat sized citrus fruit used and cultivated primarily in the Philippines, but also Indonesia, Taiwan, and parts of China.

Finger Limes are a native shrub of Australia, and the fruit has citrus type qualities, but theoretically aren't related to citrus plants. However, I would be more than happy to include them in the challenge, and VERY impressed if entries were to use them.

I think I'm going to have a hard time choosing just 6 entries! I've recently made a batch of plum & preserved lemon chutney that I think might just make my first every with over the weekend. Pictures might be a problem though because I ran out of jars, so the chutney was left too runny and frozen at the almost done stage, so that I could defrost and reboil the chutney to sterilize it again and then jar in...

Finger limes... I know I used to be able to get them fresh but that was before the bush fires and Covid...

Another recipe challenge I will watch intently, but most likely not participate in. I tend to use Lemons & Limes in beverages only; rarely in cooking. I don't dislike the flavor, just don't have much exposure to cooking with them.

. I don't dislike the flavor, just don't have much exposure to cooking with them.

I'm so surprised! They are some of the most versatile ingredients and can be used in sweet or savoury dishes. Beverages are also eligible for the challenge. You know, the way I see it, the challenge is a chance to explore new things. :D As TastyReuben commented - he doesn't use limes much at all so he is probably going to concentrate on them.

My Meyer Lemon Curd

Meyer Lemon Cur on-toast.jpg

The first thing that popped into my head when I read the next challenge ingredient was My Meyer Lemon Curd.
Delicious on toast!

IMG_5958.JPG

And makes for a lovely Hostess Gift.

IMG_5978.JPG

This last batch that I made, I put it into a zip-top freezer bag, so that I could dispenser as much or as little of this sunny goodness any time.
It keeps much longer in the freezer.

Last edited:
A lime libation:

Recipe - Lime Drop Martini (excuse the wine glass)

I like this fine. Lime is one of those things, like honey, where I can barely tolerate it on its own (can't stand the smell, can't stand the taste), but it can really transform a dish as an ingredient.

This is one of those "sum is greater than its parts" recipes - very simple, just a few ingredients, but no one thing stands out or overpowers this - they all work together to make a superb bookend to the workweek.

To quote MrsT (who loves all things sour): "Do not lose this recipe!"

Cheers!

Last edited:
This dish is a classic all across South and Central America, from Perú to México.
In Venezuela it´s a very popular dish and does not use hot chiles; rather, it uses a totally innocuous but very flavourful chile called "ají dulce"
It´s important to use really high quality fish for this dish; otherwise it´s chewy and unpleasant.
If you want to add avocado, or tomatoes, it´s up to you, but the dish really doesn´t need it.
Any liquid left over can be saved for the following day, when it´s mixed with local hooch and called "leche de tigre" (Tiger´s milk)
The photo is from my nephew´s wedding, where I also made tuna tartare and classic prawn cocktails. The edible flowers on the dishes were a not-very-successful attempt by a catering company to make all the dishes look nice!!
Ceviche

I'm not attempting to grow citrus here this year, but in the past I had the most success with Thai/kefir limes and with regular bearss limes. I did attempt finger limes, and got all of TWO limes - which if you know these things, are very tiny.

I've posted this image before, and it is not really a recipe anyway:

finger-lime-scallop2-jpg.jpg

I was able to serve the two I got with about four scallops, as a topping added after I lightly seared the scallops. The spheres in each will look anywhere from a pale pink to a light yellowish-green. The little balls of finger lime lend a nice, lightly sharp and mildly acidic crunch, and work well on this sort of homespun "plate teaser".

To grow in the latitudes at which I live, you do have to bring the "trees" in for winter. I wonder if I just don't keep my house hot enough for most citrus to be happy. I keep it at 67-68 for winter. (20 C.) (It remains more important for ME to be happy....)

A friend and I plan to go in together to split a bag of fresh finger limes when they become available here for purchase again in fall. They are not cheap, but as a once a year indulgence - why not?

Last edited:
I like this fine. Lime is one of those things, like honey, where I can barely tolerate it on its own (can't stand the smell, can't stand the taste), but it can really transform a dish as an ingredient.
I'm with MG - what is off putting about limes, if you enjoy lemon? Yes, there's a slightly different aroma, but still in the same family.

Back
Top Bottom