The CookingBites recipe challenge: mayonnaise

Nick Malgieri's Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
I kept thinking to myself: " Mayonnaise, salad, mayonnaise, coleslaw, mayonnaise,dips, mayonnaise,salad..." so I did a bit of research and found this recipe.
It's a slight adaptation of Nick Malgieri's recipe in his book "Chocolate" (pub. 1998). I didn't use Hellman's mayo, because I couldn't find any, and I added a chocolate ganache on top, instead of sprinkling with confectioner's sugar.
Malgieri is an extraordinarily talented baker. I remember seeing some of his appearances on FoodTV. This recipe, however, is not at all complicated and tastes really good! Does it taste of mayonnaise? No, it tastes of chocolate.

Chocolate Mayo cake 1.jpg
Chocolate Mayo cake 2.jpg

With this challenge going on, I’ve been keeping track mentally of the number of people who say “main-ays” versus “may-ah-nays.”

I’m of the latter group. The former group…I’m suspicious of them. 😈

With this challenge going on, I’ve been keeping track mentally of the number of people who say “main-ays” versus “may-ah-nays.”

I’m of the latter group. The former group…I’m suspicious of them. 😈

You forgot the may-oh-nays option.

CD

White Cabbage Coleslaw with Coriander and Orange Mayonnaise
Not a rocket science recipe, by any means, but I had to think of a way of using up a stray orange and half a Chinese cabbage!
Coriander seeds have a fruity, citric flavour when lightly toasted, so they fit in rather well to this basic slaw.
Coriander Mayo 2jpg.jpg

You forgot the may-oh-nays option.

CD
I’ve not encountered anyone who says a long “o” for that second syllable - I’d hear that and think it’s someone who’s never said the word before and are sounding it out.

So they’d get a pass first time, but if the kept doing it, they’d go in the suspicious pile. :laugh:

I did leave out another group, which is probably the most common where I live: “man-ays.” - I hear that so much, I think I’ve blanked it.

I pronounce the word "may-o-nayz"; the "o" is a short vowel, as in "hot, cot or got". British vowels, not American vowels; the latter are much longer.

British and American vowels have one thing in common, they have more than one pronunciation. That is unlike vowels in Romance languages, like Spanish (as you well know) and Italian. In those languages, they are always pronounced one way... and British and some Americans ignore those rules and pronounce them the "proper" way, which is obviously the British or American way. :laugh:

CD

British and American vowels have one thing in common, they have more than one pronunciation. That is unlike vowels in Romance languages, like Spanish (as you well know) and Italian. In those languages, they are always pronounced one way... and British and some Americans ignore those rules and pronounce them the "proper" way, which is obviously the British or American way. :laugh:
You are so right. I often wonder why that is, but it might be because (a) there are so many regional accents and (b) we don't have a "National Language Academy" which dictates how we should speak/write. I just love the way we go with the flow, as it were; that makes the language malleable. Where I come from, (Maidstone, Kent) we're 30 miles from London. There are 3 accents, just in Maidstone. "Received English" - basically similar to how upper class people speak. slightly posh. If you exaggerate it, then everyone will think you're rich, upper class and well-educated. "Estuary English" - a mixture of Kent English and London (Cockney) English. Then there's "Maidstone English" - which is slow, drawn out and sloppy.
I lived in SE London for 10 years and I just love their accent. They speak at a rate of knots and there's loads of slang (including Cockney rhyming slang) involved.
Language evolves, constantly. Let it evolve.

Back
Top Bottom