The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Miso

Definitely in the same boat here.... have only had it in instant soup form.

I got interested when my son went vegan and never looked back - once discovered you will always want miso paste in you store cupboard. Its just so versatile and adds such a flavour dimension. I do find that it needs using judiciously. Too much can overpower a dish.

I went to a Miso fermenting establishment last year about this time, and have two of their miso creations. I've cooked with these, but will try to create a new recipe or so within the time frame for this challenge, soon. (Got a lot of off-lne things going on atm... but will plan on doing this...)

I opened a new packet of miso last night to create a quick marinade for some tofu. It was a sweet miso but still made from soya beans not chickpeas and there was a very definite sweetness to it.
Hopefully today a 4 pack of award winning miso should be delivered. I can't wait to try them.

https://www.riceculture.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/value-set-4-four-new-variety-set-aka-red-shiro-white-vintage-chickpea?

Interestingly though their website now says sold out. I only placed my order at the weekend but I've received a shipping notification so it should be ok.

Found these in my supermarket today. So working on an idea or two which I'll test before posting. Am enjoying trying to use an ingredient I'm not so familiar with.
IMG_20190605_164005.jpg

Found these in my supermarket today. So working on an idea or two which I'll test before posting. Am enjoying trying to use an ingredient I'm not so familiar with.
View attachment 28310

I notice you have white miso. I have some too - but its certainly not white in colour! I'm not sure I know what the difference is between white, red and brown miso.

I'm not sure I know what the difference is between white, red and brown miso.
It really is colour, though as you say its not really white. Red is red in colour, brown in brown, dark brown. I'll photo mine tomorrow. I've got 4 types in the fridge currently and another 4 varieties on their way in the post due to arrive tomorrow. At least 3 of those varieties are known white so I'll try tho do a comparison but my darkest one is almost black ( and exceptionally tasty)

Last edited by a moderator:
My current selection

20190606_120255.jpg

20190606_120230.jpg

As you can see my sweet miso isn't a white sweet miso. Its the first teaspoon. The blue label which is our favourite is the middle teaspoon. The darkest which is very tasty and used in smaller amounts is the last teaspoon.
20190606_120202.jpg

The sweet miso isn't a sweet white miso, but is very definitely sweet in comparison to the others.

My new 'flavours'.

20190606_120101.jpg

The sweet white miso is much paler.
20190606_120132.jpg

I'm glad you're getting into it. I have to say I was a little worried that it could be a challenge too far. I know sometimes ingredients i use are completely foreign to others and often considered one adventure too far (in both eating and cooking).

Last edited:
I was a little worried that it could be a challenge too far. I know sometimes ingredients i use are completely foreign to others and often considered one adventure too far (in both eating and cooking).

I think things have moved on quite a lot in the UK in the last few years due to the exponential rise of veganism here - there are now vegan menus all over the place and of course they often feature miso. There are even ready meals featuring miso in supermarkets (obviously not all vegan):

Here is a little selection from a supermarket (including miso pot noodles!):

382765011_0_640x640.jpg 388781011_0_640x640.jpg
410973011_0_640x640.jpg 430497011_0_640x640.jpg
453024011_0_640x640.jpg IDShot_540x540-24.jpg

I think things have moved on quite a lot in the UK in the last few years due to the exponential rise of veganism here - there are now vegan menus all over the place and of course they often feature miso

It will be interesting to see the changes in August when we're back in the UK (albeit briefly). There's going to be a lot of eating out I think because both sets of families want to see us and on top of that that's a milestone birthday party in Blackpool (offer hopefully Lytham St Anne's but I suspect it will actually be in Blackpool). We're even risking a vegan menu on British Airways for the flights both ways. I wouldn't have done that 3 years ago that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom