The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Miso

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:40 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Our judge @SatNavSaysStraightOn who won the previous challenge has chosen Miso (any kind: chickpea, lentil, barley, rice, soya bean etc. in any form: sweet, savory, dark, light etc.) as the next ingredient.

MisoPaste_4Colors.jpg

To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe featuring miso as a new thread, tag it "CookingBites Recipe Challenge" and post a link to it in this thread. The challenge will provisionally run for three weeks, ending at 12:00 midday on the 22nd June BST (GMT+1).

Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to make their own miso? You need koji to start it, which is a Japanese rice inoculated with a strand of naturally occurring fermentation culture called Aspergillus oryzae - you can buy it on-line in the UK (and I assume elsewhere, depending on where you live).

Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Our judge @SatNavSaysStraightOn who won the previous challenge has chosen Miso (any kind: chickpea, soya bean etc. in any form: sweet, savory, dark, light etc.) as the next ingredient.

View attachment 28255

To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe featuring miso as a new thread, tag it "CookingBites Recipe Challenge" and post a link to it in this thread. The challenge will provisionally run for three weeks, ending at 12:00 midday on the June BST (GMT+1).

Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

I have some, my daughter gave me some for okynomyaki, sp.?

Russ

Once again, CookinBites proves to be the best cooking forum on the planet. That is to say, I am new to miso. So what words of advice can the "Miso people" give me?
Think umami flavour. You don't need a lot to flavour a dish. Often half a tsp is enough in a stock or stew. Buy the paste not miso soup sachets. Its a bit expensive but a little goes a long way.

Think umami flavour. You don't need a lot to flavour a dish. Often half a tsp is enough in a stock or stew. Buy the paste not miso soup sachets. Its a bit expensive but a little goes a long way.
Great feedback. I am thinking of doing a Jackfruit chili for the recipe challenge. Would miso work in Chili?

I think it can be made from soya beans or chick peas. I think I may have a try at it...
Chickpea miso needs a minimum of a month tho ferment if you want to make out yourself and can be made from unsprouted or sprouted chickpeas.

Apparently the liquid left over from making chickpea miso is actually tamari.

However reading up on it, it seems that you can make it from any bean or lentil.

Definitely in the same boat here.... have only had it in instant soup form.
And sadly that's like starting with a beef burger from McDonald's about 30 odd years ago (I'll assuming that they improved slightly in that time) and using that as your reference point for all meat, ever.

Once again, CookingBites proves to be the best cooking forum on the planet. That is to say, I am new to miso. So what words of advice can the "Miso people" give me?

Do you have a Kosco shop near you, they are Asian stores for food etc, they seem to be everywhere. If you do, go and talk to them. I visit Indian stores and always ask for tips. They will help you out.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom