The CookingBites recipe challenge: mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:41 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is mushrooms* and Mountain Cat is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** using mushrooms, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Deadline: midday Tuesday 9th November UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* includes truffles and truffle oil
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
I think it was last year that I went through a phase of not liking mushrooms. It was very strange as I'd never had an issue with them before and I'd always liked their umami flavour. Almost overnight it seemed, I saw them in a different light: the texture was far too slimy and slippery, the taste was no longer 'umami' but a difficult feral and dirty taste. Oh my! It reminded me of being pregnant and having very definite aversions to some foods and cravings for others.

Luckily, I am now completely recovered and I'm looking forward to creating some mushroom magic in the kitchen.

the texture was far too slimy and slippery, the taste was no longer 'umami' but a difficult feral and dirty taste. Oh my! It reminded me of being pregnant
That's how they taste to me. Maybe I'm expecting. Where's that new pregnant man emoji when I need?!?! :laugh:

That's how they taste to me. Maybe I'm expecting. Where's that new pregnant man emoji when I need?!?! :laugh:
I remember getting ahold of bad mushrooms when I was younger and not liking them after that for quite awhile. Then I had extremely fresh ones several times, and different varieties, and I changed my tune. Also, I still don't love them raw. My husband does, however. A salad is not complete for him without them.

I rather like them raw. They are rather different and certainly not slimy in texture. Also, pickled is interesting. Ever eaten a raw mushroom TastyReuben? I'm guessing not.
Too spongy for me. I'll eat them raw if presented, I don't hate them. I just like them cooked better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom