The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pistachio Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know that when I first got selected for the Recipe Challenge three years ago when I joined CB, I chose Pomegranate for the next recipe challenge? So, this recipe of yours uses both. Coinkydink?

FYI: I recall that we all had a whole lot of fun toying with how to pull Pomegranate apart and process it back at that time. For some, it might be fun to review those old posts.

Pomegranate Challenge

Do you know that when I first got selected for the Recipe Challenge three years ago when I joined CB, I chose Pomegranate for the next recipe challenge? So, this recipe of yours uses both. Coinkydink?
I didn't - but now I know, so thanks for the information, Judge Hammer...flyinglentris. I may be a fox and/or a sneaky climber :cool: but the pomegranate-pistachio union was a true coincidence; inspired by a Georgian eggplant-walnut-pomegranate recipe (vegetarian) in a local women's magazine.
reci.jpg

There are so many threads and recipes on CB that I haven't gone through all of the challenge threads - mainly recent ingredient lists and most of the challenge entries starting from last autumn. After a few absolutely pointless religious verbal disputes (Grr...wouf, wouf) I try to focus on cooking and having fun here - not nitpicking or uplifting my snout.

I'm not a big fan of pomegranates but I've been impressed by Burt's abundant use of the fruit, so I've tried to utilize them a bit more in our kitchen too. My hubby noticed that there was a box of pomegranates on sale at the local hypermarket for less than 2€ but in the end we just bought one for the rolls.

Here's my next entry: Pistachio-Filled Croissants
croi_d.png

After a few absolutely pointless religious verbal disputes (Grr...wouf, wouf) I try to focus on cooking and having fun here - not nitpicking or uplifting my snout.

I didn't see any uplifted snouts, just a coinkydink that was worth poking fun at.

Here's a Pistachio kicker from flyinglentris.

I have read some opinions that Pistachio is a difficult ingredient to work with and that there don't appear to be a lot of diverse recipe possibilities. I read the same type of lamentation with regard to Turmeric and yet, that challenge spawned nearly 40 recipes, many of them somewhat unique.

So what's the trick? How did I take a spice that I had never before used and figure ways to marry it to other ingredients and create some unique productions?

I think you'll find that I use the word 'evaluate' and the word 'research' often in my posts regarding Turmeric. And make no mistake, that is the trick. In my Spicy Fruit Paste Verrine recipe I went so far as to suggest using an ice cube tray to test various combinations of ingredients. Normally, I evaluate combining ingredients one on one, but the Verrine presented special problems where the ice cube tray was a good end methodology. I had been asked by a member regarding the Albacore Robagusti Bread Fishcake recipe something on the line of how could Albacore Tuna and Salami pair up in a recipe. I included a note in the recipe not to pick out the Salami and Olives and the reason why is that I did an evaluation, a spoonful evaluation, combining things to see how they would marry up and replied that the 'flavor combinations were good'.

If you are stymied by Pistachio, do some research first to see how it is being used in recipes on the web. Then do some combination evaluations. Take an ice cube tray and combine a pinch, just a pinch, of things you expect to marry up well in 6 of the cells, like Wasabi and Pistachio, Paprika and Pistachio, etc. and in the other 6 cells evaluate some ingredients that you think will be long shots, like Horse Radish and Pistachio, Brown Sugar Butter and Pistachio. See how these flavors marry up. Line out the ones that don't work out and keep note of those that do.

Then, go further, consider the Meats, Fish, Seafood, Beef, Pork, Lamb and Poultry. Consider the Grains, Rices, Flours, Wheat Grains, Breads, Cakes and others. Consider Fruits and Vegetables, Dairy products and other things. Instead of taking an old recipe and swapping Pistachios for some other Nut ingredient, be creative and do something new and unusual. Once you are on a path to a production because you've discovered good marriages of Pistachio with other ingredients, go for it.

Consider sauces like Adobo, Mole and Sofrito, even Cream Sauces and more traditional Pasta Sauces. Consider Egg Whites and Yolks. Just play the field of possible combos.

Remember that Pistachio can take three forms, whole Pistachios, fragmented crushed Pistachios and a Pistachio Flour. And don't avoid perceiving Pistachio Flour as a Spice alternative. Like Turmeric, Pistachio Flour has a unique subtle flavor which can be married to a diverse variety of other ingredients.

I can already imagine a large variety of possible recipes. Pistachio is NOT a difficult ingredient at all. It just needs to be evaluated and explored and to be made a friend on the shelf of cooking ingredients.

I'm sure there will be a lot more entries coming. People were rather busy with holiday meals the last few weeks, so I figure they just didn't have much time for the cooking challenge. I know I have another entry planned.

CD

I'm sure there will be a lot more entries coming. People were rather busy with holiday meals the last few weeks, so I figure they just didn't have much time for the cooking challenge. I know I have another entry planned.

CD

I agree and have expected it. My kicker is a suggestion, no more.

Yesterday morning the conversation went like this:
ME: Are you going to Tensas? (hunting camp)
G: IDK
ME: What is the deciding factor?
G: Brad (G's Son) may have to meet a guy at Toledo Bend (fishing camp). The guy may buy Brad's boat. Why are you asking?
ME: First for general information, second to know if I need to take something out of the freezer for dinner.
G: I'll be home for dinner.
ME: Good, what would you like?
G: I don't care whatever you want.
20 minutes later
G: Did you take something out of the freezer?
ME: Not yet.
G: What about fish?
ME: That would be lovely.
I am thinking about the challenge so fish would be great crusted with Pistachio.
G: What do you want - catfish, redfish, speckled trout or Sac a Lait?
I would like redfish or speckled trout but I know he wants catfish.
ME: Your Choice.
He took out catfish.
It worked well and was very tasty with the pistachio crust.

Recipe - Pistachio Crusted Fish With Lemon Dill Aioli

Easy and quick.

G: Brad (G's Son) may have to meet a guy at Toledo Bend (fishing camp). The guy may buy Brad's boat. Why are you asking?
ME: First for general information, second to know if I need to take something out of the freezer for dinner.
20 minutes later
I am thinking about the challenge so fish would be great crusted with Pistachio.
He took out catfish.
It worked well and was very tasty with the pistachio crust.
View attachment 54099

Recipe - Pistachio Crusted Fish With Lemon Dill Aioli

Easy and quick.
Not related to pistachios, but to your conversation, here's how mine went today, in comparison:

Me: What would you like for breakfast? Biscuits and gravy?

MrsT: I'm too upset, I can't eat. I'll maybe have a piece of toast later or something. You go ahead and just fix something for yourself.

Me: Ok, I know there are two pancakes in the freezer, I'll just eat those.

MrsT: Well...I guess I could have those.

🤨

20 minutes later
He took out catfish.
It worked well and was very tasty with the pistachio crus

DOH! Pistachio crusted fish filet was my next entry. I was just waiting until I got rid of some holiday leftovers to make it. :facepalm:

My method was the same, without the aioli. Prep and cooking pretty much the same. Cod instead of catfish (cod is mentioned as an option in EB's) recipe. Once again, EB and I were on the same wavelength, but she was quicker on the draw.

Back to the drawing board. :laugh:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom