The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pistachio Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen other judges post recipes in their own challenges before. Of course not as entries, but why wait?

Well, the odds might be slim that I might block somebody from a recipe they had in mind, but I figured not to risk that. If I figure to have something really unusual going, I'll consider posting it. It might inspire some ideas.

So I'll join the many with a few pesto recipes of my own.
All of mine are vegan for obvious reasons, but there is nothing stopping you adding cheese to them should you wish to.

All 3 look identical, so I'll only subject you to on picture with absolutely no depth of field at all!

The first is a pretty standard pesto made with basil and lemons
Recipe - Vegan Lemon & Pistachio Pesto

The next one is made with same of the wild rocket (arugula query spelling?) that grows quite freely in my veg plot and is now making an attempt on the lawn! It will loose the very strong peppery taste after a couple of days, so if it is too strong for you, just wait!
Recipe - Vegan Wild Rocket & Pistachio Pesto

Finally I happen to have a lot of sorrell growing in my veg plot and thought that I would gue that a try in pesto as well. And it works really really well with absolutely no discolouration at all.
Recipe - Vegan Sorrell & Pistachio Pesto

B516FFF8-4516-4633-BC91-07219740ECF2.jpeg

Pistachio Crusted Salmon with fried Brussels sprouts. Different day, different protein. Recipe to follow after dinner.

Last edited:
View attachment 54372

Pistachio Crusted Salmon with fried Brussels sprouts.
Different day, different protein. Recipe to follow after dinner.
Sorry, I am all about the Brussels sprouts, LOL! I don't mind nut-crusted fish, I know it's pretty good, but dang...Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite veggies. My youngest stepdaughter always came in the house after school basketball practice and asked, "What smells like a$$ in here?!!!" But she ate it and liked it.

The first thing I have noticed as I get into preparing for my first Pistachio recipe is that they are a luxury ingredient. At $9.94 USD per 12 Oz., I find myself scrimping a bit on amounts, especially since my first two productions will use Pistachio Flour as well as fragments. But that $9.94 is not totally restrictive. It's just that I know that I will need more as I go along with additional recipes. Half my inventory will be gone after just two recipes.

The first thing I have noticed as I get into preparing for my first Pistachio recipe is that they are a luxury ingredient. At $9.94 USD per 12 Oz., I find myself scrimping a bit on amounts, especially since my first two productions will use Pistachio Flour as well as fragments. But that $9.94 is not totally restrictive. It's just that I know that I will need more as I go along with additional recipes. Half my inventory will be gone after just two recipes.

My problem is that I keep eating them by the handful. I'm going to have to buy more if I don't lock them up and give the key to a friend.

CD

My problem is that I keep eating them by the handful. I'm going to have to buy more if I don't lock them up and give the key to a friend.

CD

I fully understand that. I love Pistachios as a snack. When I go for groceries again, I'm going to have to get about three bags or about 36 Oz. of Pistachios.

It's the same here. A large bag is 250g and AUD $15.50. That's been the cheapest I can find.

12oz = 350g apparently and $15.50 AUD is $12 USD. So you're getting them much cheaper than me but reading the back of the packets I'm getting, they are American pistachios, packaged in Australia...

I really can only afford 1 more recipe with them. Hubby bought me 2 bags of them this week!

At $9.94 USD per 12 Oz.
It's the same here. A large bag is 250g and AUD $15.50. That's been the cheapest I can find.

Shelled, I can get them for £2.00 per 100g

12oz = approx. 340g which would cost me £6.80 = $9.23. So I can get them very marginally cheaper. There is no doubt they are a luxury item!

Saffron which is thought to be super expensive, seems better value, as you only need a pinch in a recipe.

12oz = 350g apparently and $15.50 AUD is $12 USD. So you're getting them much cheaper than me but reading the back of the packets I'm getting, they are American pistachios, packaged in Australia...

I really can only afford 1 more recipe with them. Hubby bought me 2 bags of them this week!

If they are American pistachios, they are California pistachios, which are very good. Transportation costs would easily add the extra three bucks US.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom