The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pistachio Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pistachio-Blueberry Cake
blu_a.png

b7d55f5e-895c-42cd-8830-647664a63f61-jpeg.jpg

Pistachio Dill Chimichurri. Chimichurri is the South American cousin of pesto. I’m sure you can see the family resemblance. I'm surprised to see that only one other chimichurri recipe has ever been posted here (by the always adventurous murphyscreek) as part of an excellent steak recipe. Now, there are 2 recipes.

I would normally have made this with mint and cilantro or parsley, but I had a ridiculous amount of fresh dill that I didn't want to go bad. Even I was surprised that the dill didn't overpower the other flavors, and the presence of the pistachios (not normally a part of chimichurri) did present itself.

I have just learned by digging around, that there is such a thing as Pistachio Oil. How it is used, I am yet to understand.

Pistachio Oil appears quite expensive, but I found an example (included link) for $11 USD for 8.5 Oz.

Same here. I know that oils can be made from all sorts of things, but the actual flavor is hard to distinguish. Peanut oil doesn't make the food taste like peanuts, for example.

Now, oils infused with something else are a different story. I think a neutral oil with chunks of pistachios in it would be great. If I can find a pistachio oil somewhere, I would be happy to try an experiment comparing it to canola and olive oil.

I don't know if it was all the pistachio recipes that have been popping up on here or what, but an interesting looking recipe using pistachios popped up on my tablet's news/interests feed that I thought Craig and I would both like with a few mods, so we went to the Italian market today and bought the stuff, including a special pasta shape, to make it. Got some things from the bakery for dessert too.

Also got what I needed to make panna cotta and a lovely garnish.

ETA: I don't remember whose recipe thread I accidentally posted this reply in, but I want to apologize. I thought I was posting in the general challenge thread, so I deleted it out of your recipe thread and reposted here.

771CD68D-6100-4EA0-981A-61E2E3C6C6D6.jpeg

Pistachio Baklava. Not all baklava is made with pistachios. After making these, I truly wonder why. I could probably eat 100 of these, which is a good thing because that’s about how many I made.

Recipe sometime tomorrow. Diet? Maybe next month.

Last edited:
Heading out. Costco then Albertson's, possibly Whole Foods if I can not find raw or unsalted roasted pistachios. I may skip Whole foods and just order on line.

33A4283C-C46A-4897-B230-BF087DCF75B1.jpeg

Pistachio Salmon Pockets. I had leftover filo dough, and I didn’t want to throw it out. I also just got a new meat grinder, and an idea was born. I mixed all the things that play so well with salmon - dill, capers, lime juice, and of course pistachios - then wrapped it up in buttered filo dough. Like a Hot Pocket but so much better.

Extra special bonus: look at the time stamp! I actually started cooking this at 8:30, which is about 2 hours earlier than I usually do. I don't expect the stars to align quite so perfectly again, so I'm enjoying this rare, not-late-night cook.

Last edited:
View attachment 54910

Pistachio Salmon Pockets.
I had leftover filo dough, and I didn’t want to throw it out. I also just got a new meat grinder, and an idea was born. I mixed all the things that play so well with salmon - dill, capers, lime juice, and of course pistachios - then wrapped it up in buttered filo dough. Like a Hot Pocket but so much better.

Extra special bonus: look at the time stamp! I actually started cooking this at 8:30, which is about 2 hours earlier than I usually do. I don't expect the stars to align quite so perfectly again, so I'm enjoying this rare, not-late-night cook.
But we know how long it will take you to write it up, LOLOLOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom