The CookingBites recipe challenge: pork

Thanks, MG and thanks to everyone who participated in this challenge!
I´ve got to go up to London today for a medical appointment and won´t be back until around 4pm, but I´ll go through the recipes then.
Watch this space.
1654761897573.png

This challenge was a knockout. 27 different recipes from 18 different national cuisines and even a Vegan option!
Absolutely fantastic - congratulations to all the participants.
I´ve always thought pork is one of the most versatile, yet underrated proteins. Yes, we love ham, sausages, bacon, salamis, chorizos, pork crackling, spam and devilled ham: we all eat loads and loads of that, but we tend NOT to eat as much divine pork chops, pork loin, pork belly, roasted pork and the other porky bits. Additionally, we tend to stick to what we know or what´s traditional so as not to risk something "new" or "unusual".
However, new and unusual is where I tend to look when I´m after a recipe...

First of all, let´s have a special round of applause for SPAM.
Spam was created by Hormel in 1937, after an increased need for non-perishable protein food items. This pork product became a diet staple for troops fighting in World War II. The Europeans, minus the Brits, kind of hated it, but those stationed on the Pacific front became obsessed.
Take a look at Spam with spam... a Monty Python Classic
Spamghetti with spinach; Hawaiian Spam rice: Spam curried puffs; Spam Wellington.
Well done, guys!! making something really exciting with a very humble ingredient.
And to think we´d go for a Spam Fritter at the chip shop when I was 18 years old.

There were 5 recipes that really caught my attention.
1654808445232.png

1) Yorky´s recipe for Haslet. A simple, straightforward recipe , where pork is the star. I´m going to make that for my kids.
2) Murphy´s Creek Vietnamese grilled Lemongrass Pork belly. Brilliant , mate - you´ve given me a porky option for BBQ days.
3)Mountain Cat´s Khmer Pork Head. Wow - I take my hat off to you for attempting such a challenging and unusual dish!
4) Kaneohegirlinaz ´s Pork Guisantes. Simple to make, lots of pork with other flavours.
5) Morning Glory´s Pork Achiote with Citrus Prawns. Órale! Mexican to a T with the achiote/annato and the citrus accents!

However, I have to make a decision. The winning dish was a fusion of Asian and European flavours, easy to prepare, and looked delicious.
Pork Guisantes, by Kaneohegirlinaz!!
Congratulations!

OH_MY_GAWD!!!
I am truly humbled, mahalo, thank you karadekoolaid !!!
What with all of the fantastic recipes, I just threw my hat to the wind, not ever thinking that it would catch anyone's eye really, let along be tapped as your favorite KK.
I am honored.

Congratulations kaneohegirlinaz! I just realised that 'guisantes' translates as 'green peas'!

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or PM me or another moderator for advice. Once the ingredient is announced a moderator will set up the new challenge thread.

Back
Top Bottom