The CookingBites recipe challenge: potatoes

Just like Yorky, I love my potatoes. Anything from simple mashed potatoes & butter, potatoes with bacon & cheese, to more complex recipes, usually Indian. So here´s my first entry:
Malaidhar Aloo (Potatoes with Cheese, Cream and Spices)

Somebody had to do it! :giggle:

Smothered Baked Potato

This is how I like it:

IMG_1505.JPG

I used my Paniolo (that's Hawaiian for Cowboy) Chili, grated Cheddar Cheese, chopped Sweet White (Vidalia or Maui) Onion and a dollop of Daisy-that's American speak for Sour Cream :laugh:
The combination of toppings are endless! Baked Potatoes or Jack Potatoes are such a terrific blank canvas for just about anything. With the ginormous size of Russet Potatoes we've been getting here in the US, half a one does us just fine thanks.

My second entry:

Recipe - Potato Tarte Flambée

This one sneaks up on you. A bit of crème fraiche, some thinly-sliced potatoes, and a little seasoning; you don't really expect a flavor bomb - actually, the first bite or two is...a little bland. Oh no!

But then...then...the creaminess of the dairy and the potatoes work together to almost soothe the tastebuds, followed by a subtle evergreen bite from the fresh rosemary, and just a touch of brightness from the lemon. Add in just the right amount of saltiness, and it reveals itself to have quite a bit of flavor after all.

I have to single out the dough on this one, the one deviation I made, because I don't have any sourdough pizza dough. I used a basic NY-style dough, pushed and shaped it as thin as humanly possible, and the two applications of olive oil made sure it baked up shatteringly crisp.

I usually post MrsT's remarks, and she certainly started out in the "Hmmm...it needs...something" camp, but by about the fourth bite, landed squarely in "Do NOT lose this recipe!" land.

I showed this to DH (he's American-Italian from Philadelphia) and at first I said this may not be for you, I told him how this "pizza" was made and he firmly said, "that's not how you make pizza" ... well dear heart, only in your world-he agreed :laugh:

Roasted Baby Potatoes

IMG_2262.JPG

Another extremely simple recipe that I love.
Growing up in Hawaii, I didn't eat alot of Potatoes, it's more of a steamed Rice culture.
I've learned that Potatoes are quite good for you and they don't need much as for dressing.
DH & I have this dish often. If I have leftover Roasted Potatoes, I morph them into Home Fries with Sweet Bell Peppers and Onion (aka Potatoes O'Brien) for breakfast.
You can change it up with any number of seasonings, using whatever `spud you have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom