The CookingBites recipe challenge: potatoes

Gunpowder potatoes for Guy Fawkes night!

My main memory of Guy Fawkes night (we called bonfire night as kids) was cooking potatoes in their jackets in the hot ashes of the bonfires; then shaking off the ashes to eat the potato whilst most likely burning our fingers at the same time.

Last edited:
My main memory of Guy Fawkes night (we called bonfire night as kids) was cooking potatoes in their jackets in the hot ashes of the bonfires; then shaking off the ashes to eat the potato whilst most likely burning our fingers at the same time.
Same here. I can remember a few drunks at one particular bonfire night started throwing the potatoes around- until it hit one poor bloke in the face... :eek: :eek: :eek:

A63D4CCE-0AB4-4A95-AD0B-E453B4AA444E.jpeg

Poutini. Like the classic Canadian dish, poutine, but Italian (pronounced Eye-talian) style.

Last edited:
Papas Arrugadas con Mojitos
(Wrinkled potatoes with two dipping sauces)
This recipe comes from the Canary Isles. Since this was probably the first stop for the South American explorers, they got first shot at using potatoes,peppers and chiles. The potatoes were cooked in seawater, thus the huge quantity of salt, yet the potatoes are not salty at all. The two "mojitos" (mojar, in Spanish, means to dip) are great contrasts. Citric green, spicy red.

I have one more (well, I have three more, but that ain’t happening), but I keep getting foiled at every turn!

It’s a somewhat heavy-ish dish, and I wanted to make it last night, but MrsT was close to all her WW points for the day, so she wanted something very low-points, hence the eggs.

Tonight, I’m going over to visit some out-of-town family and will be gone when I’d normally be cooking, plus we’re doing chocolate fondue tonight, so that’s high points, and then tomorrow, I know we really need to work a salad in, so it’s not looking good.

We had a couple of dishes, including Craig's potato salad but they won't be happening now.

Back
Top Bottom