The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first entry will be Indonesian fried rice. A basic staple anywhere in Indonesia, and often eaten with leftovers from the day before. This recipe can be eaten as a meal on it's own, though I suggest serving it with pickles and a fried egg if you do.

Recipe - Nasi goreng with chicken (fried rice)

I am going to see if I can perfect my Arroz Con Pollo this weekend and actually write the recipe down which is something I never do. I take the classic Arroz and turn it green. Are there rules? How many photos do you want? Does anyone actually make all the recipes to decide the winner? What are the categories a dish is judged on? Is this too many questions? :D

Your Arroz Con Pollo sounds intriguing!

The rules in summary are that you post a recipe as a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum. The recipe must contain the challenge ingredient. If its not your own recipe please cite the source. No photos required although most people add them. How many photos is up to you. You need to tag the recipe, cookingbites recipe challenge and then post a link to it in this thread. If you don't know how to do either of those things please just PM me.

There are no judging criteria. Its a fun challenge and the judge simply decides on the recipe they like best. Occasionally I have made recipes entered but it would be infeasible to expect the judge (or anyone else) to do that. Last round we had over 30 entries!

MypinchofItaly
Great choice.
For many decades (generations) rice farming has been a major industry in Louisiana. Growing up we had rice with lunch and dinner every day.
I have gotten away from rice on a regular basis. It is a special treat. I will post a traditional Cajun recipe for Rice Dressing (Dirty Rice) and a variation using oysters.

Yes please ElizabethB, post your recipe, I look forward to seeing it (or them!)

Tachin Joojeh

Persian baked rice with a chicken and onion layer in the middle.

Recipe and video here: Recipe & Video - Tachin Joojeh - Persian Baked Rice with Chicken

That looks amazing. Persian baked rice has been on my list for a long time, but I'm frightened of a burnt mess.

Hi mate, if you use a see through casserole dish it's easy to keep an eye on it. For a while there I thought I had the opposite problem, that it wasn't going to colour/crispen. It wasnt till about the hour mark it began to noticeably change colour, and then I was able to leave it another 20 minutes as it darkened quite slowly.

MypinchofItaly
Great choice.
For many decades (generations) rice farming has been a major industry in Louisiana. Growing up we had rice with lunch and dinner every day.
I have gotten away from rice on a regular basis. It is a special treat. I will post a traditional Cajun recipe for Rice Dressing (Dirty Rice) and a variation using oysters.

Ooooops! Replied to the wrong post. ElizabethB - are you going to make dirt and enter it? Let me know so I can take it off my short list if you plan to enter.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sprinkled them with milk and sugar. They're virtually rice crispies at a 10th of the cost.

If the rice is puffed from scratch then I'm impressed. I tried it yesterday and it didn't work. Its a bit of a palaver to do it properly. I tried frying in hot oil - but to do it properly involves salt or sand and sieves....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom