The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:57 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is sausages* and medtran49 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses sausage, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Monday, 27th February 2023 UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

*sausages can be made with pork, chicken, beef, seafood, duck, lamb, vegan protein, etc.; with the exception of breakfast sausage. Participants are invited to make their own or use premade, purchased sausage. Sausages can be cased or loose/bulk. Either fresh or dried sausage is acceptable.
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I've got it. Sausage, which can be made with pork, chicken, beef, seafood, duck, lamb, vegan protein, pretty much anything, EXCEPT breakfast sausage. Make your own, doesn't have to be stuffed into casing, or purchase. Can be fresh or dried.

Okay I've got it. Sausage, which can be made with pork, chicken, beef, seafood, duck, lamb, vegan protein, pretty much anything, EXCEPT breakfast sausage. Make your own, doesn't have to be stuffed into casing, or purchase. Can be fresh or dried.
What about Jimmy Dean bulk Pork Sausage?
jimmy dean pork sausage.jpg

(photo credit Jimmy Dean)

I am under the impression she wants us to make sausage ourselves.

Make your own...
She says:

…or purchase, so I don’t think you need to make your own.

Correct, i did write OR purchase.

I know that everyone doesn't have the means to stuff sausage if they decide to make their own, and I KNOW from experience that it is extremely difficult to stuff casings if you don't have the proper equipment, so bulk/loose is fine.

I have made seafood sausage, wrapped it in plastic wrap, compressed down by twisting, and poached it. We've also made gyro meat, which is basically a huge sausage, by wrapping in plastic, compacting down, letting it sit overnight, then unwrapping plastic, rewrapping in foil, freezing for a couple hours, then cooking on rotissere partly, then removing foil. Can be done same way in oven as well. I've made big, as well as small quick batches of chorizo. I found some chicken garlic sausage in the freezer today. We've made beef and red wine sausage in the past. The possibilites are pretty much endless.

I gave a wide variety of proteins and the purchase option so everyone can participate and no one is limited.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Do you want people to use sausages or make sausages? Theoretically the challenge is to use the ingredient in a recipe.

Correct, i did write OR purchase.

I know that everyone doesn't have the means to stuff sausage if they decide to make their own, and I KNOW from experience that it is extremely difficult to stuff casings if you don't have the proper equipment, so bulk/loose is fine.

I have made seafood sausage, wrapped it in plastic wrap, compressed down by twisting, and poached it. We've also made gyro meat, which is basically a huge sausage, by wrapping in plastic, compacting down, letting it sit overnight, then unwrapping plastic, rewrapping in foil, freezing for a couple hours, then cooking on rotissere partly, then removing foil. Can be done same way in oven as well.

I gave a wide variety of proteins and the purchase option so everyone can participate.
I got it now, thanks for the clarification!

Edited to add that I had an hour deep-tissue massage this afternoon and it was hard enough to drive home, much less read something and properly comprehend it :laugh:

Last edited:
That's breakfast sausage.
That's too bad. I love me some biscuits and sausage gravy! But I often turn my husband's Hungarian sausage into breakfast sausage gravy, it's just got a slightly different flavor than "regular" breakfast sausage. But it's being served for breakfast, so...

That's too bad. I love me some biscuits and sausage gravy! But I often turn my husband's Hungarian sausage into breakfast sausage gravy, it's just got a slightly different flavor than "regular" breakfast sausage. But it's being served for breakfast, so...

We've done the biscuits and sausage gravy discussion and experiments a couple of times over the years in regular threads and I didn't want to get into that again.

I love it too, even though eating it pretty much puts me out for the rest of the day.

I was giving people the option to make their own so no one is limited.
What exactly do 'you' do with sausages outside of a hot dog, bangers and mash, sausage roll or toad-in-the-hole?

As you may have noticed, they don't really feature in my diet (even in vegan form), the same as burgers or similar. Other than toad-in-the-hole, I've never actually had or seen sausages used in things (outside of tinned spaghetti with those mini sausages, sausage rolls, bangers and mash or toad-in-the-hole.)

Back
Top Bottom