The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

Oh my goodness! There are a million other options!
Maybe in your household but when was the last time you saw me post a picture of a sausage or mention that I ate one? I've been vegetarian since I was 11 (39 years). The idea of a vegetarian sausage back then just didn't exist and when they started to, they were frankly awful. They've never featured in my diet at all and my only real knowledge of them is as something cooked and put on a plate and served as is. Using them in something simply never featured in my life. I genuinely have no knowledge of them away from cooking them and putting them on a plate. The same would apply to burgers as well.

And honestly why would I buy a 'vegan' sausage with all of its additives, preservatives, salt and processing and crap added to it, that doesn't taste great to start off with, and try to improve it. It's not something that makes sense to me. It would be better to start off with a few ingredients and build on that. It's about as sensible to me as buying pasta, and grinding it to get flour.

So I genuinely have no idea what to do with them.

Maybe in your household but when was the last time you saw me post a picture of a sausage or mention that I ate one? I've been vegetarian since I was 11 (39 years). The idea of a vegetarian sausage back then just didn't exist and when they started to, they were frankly awful. They've never featured in my diet at all and my only real knowledge of them is as something cooked and put on a plate and served as is. Using them in something simply never featured in my life. I genuinely have no knowledge of them away from cooking them and putting them on a plate. The same would apply to burgers as well.

And honestly why would I buy a 'vegan' sausage with all of its additives, preservatives, salt and processing and crap added to it, that doesn't taste great to start off with, and try to improve it. It's not something that makes sense to me. It would be better to start off with a few ingredients and build on that. It's about as sensible to me as buying pasta, and grinding it to get flour.

So I genuinely have no idea what to do with them.

Why don't you try making your own sausage? You mentioned recently that you've been attempting to make tempah. You make vegan cheeses. Sausage bases can use the vegan proteins that you do use and like. Other bases can be rice, lentils, chickpeas, oats. Then you add the seasonings you want.

There is a multitude of how-tos on making vegan sausage, as well as vegan sausage dishes if you take the time to Google. I know when I am making something new that I look at a bunch of recipes, then pick and choose and combine what looks the best to me.

Just maybe you might come up with something you and your husband like if you give it a try.

Why don't you try making your own sausage? You mentioned recently that you've been attempting to make tempah. You make vegan cheeses. Sausage bases can use the vegan proteins that you do use and like. Other bases can be rice, lentils, chickpeas, oats. Then you add the seasonings you want.

There is a multitude of how-tos on making vegan sausage, as well as vegan sausage dishes if you take the time to Google. I know when I am making something new that I look at a bunch of recipes, then pick and choose and combine what looks the best to me.

Just maybe you might come up with something you and your husband like if you give it a try.

Yeah - 'sausages' were the subject of the recipe challenge back in 2017 and I bravely made some home-made vegan sausages:

Recipe Vegan Black Bean Sausages

Yeah - 'sausages' were the subject of the recipe challenge back in 2017 and I bravely made some home-made vegan sausages:

I was just going to post that as I had looked back to see if sausage had ever been used.

I also looked back at previously posted recipes that used vegan sausage, and there were quite a few...

All righty then! I've gone through all my cookbooks, online resources, notes stuck to backs of ice cream containers, and have found six (the limit) potential recipes to make.

I'm excited because three use types of sausages I've not cooked with before, one is a specialty from my area (sort of), and one is a fun sort of retro thing (it does call for breakfast sausage, but I'm going to sub in something else for that).

Bacon Wrapped Lil Smokies®

IMG_0480.JPG

For Super Bowl Sunday!!! :woot:

I copied and pasted one of your photos from that. No offense, MG, but this particular photo they look like something other than sausages, LOL.

20170818_143621-jpg.jpg

It does look much better when you put them in the final dish, thankfully!

20170818_174919-jpg.jpg

Ok, here’s my sausage inventory. I included the bratwurst patties because they’re just pre-cased sausages:

178345B7-94A7-4900-B254-166009927E01.jpeg
ECCE6582-65F6-4943-ACDE-AFA4898812A9.jpeg

I’m still going to have to buy some specific sausages for a couple of recipes I’ve got planned, but I’ll definitely be using some of these.

Last edited:
Somehow, I missed a pic of eight little Nurembergers:

View attachment 96028
Aldi
"Eight little Nurembergers" sounds like a Bavarian musical, maybe about some litle German gnomes who all live together and eat Brautwurst and drink lots of beer...and break out in song sporadically.

Last edited:
Here’s my first submission:

Recipe - Three-Bean Casserole

This is the one I referred to as my “fun” one, because it comes from my 1980’s Betty Crocker cookbook, and there are some sort of funny (to me) things in there (so much margarine), and lots of retro things.

This one uses three kinds of canned beans to makes a sort of deluxe version of baked beans, including the addition sausage. That’s another characteristic of this cookbook, lots of canned goods.

6A803E29-1078-4F04-B246-F39C462A2B63.jpeg
C4E3A7AD-4684-4ABB-A1A8-E85DD76BAE15.jpeg
78DE6DDD-C3A8-4649-A529-16C5496AE564.jpeg

I used a locally-made sausage from a butcher shop about an hour north of me.

It’s substantial enough to be a main course, so that’s how we had it. I would have preferred some cornbread, but I didn’t think about that soon enough.

Two big thumbs up from MrsT.

I have handwritten recipe cards from the paternal Grandmother that calls for "oleo" I always thought that meant Margarine?
Yep, it is. It's from oleolic acid which was one of the animal fats in the original oleomargarine. But with that making trans fatty acids when hydrogenated, most is now made from plant based fats because they hydrogenate into less harmful fatty acids.

Back
Top Bottom