The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

What exactly do 'you' do with sausages outside of a hot dog, bangers and mash, sausage roll or toad-in-the-hole?

As you may have noticed, they don't really feature in my diet (even in vegan form), the same as burgers or similar. Other than toad-in-the-hole, I've never actually had or seen sausages used in things (outside of tinned spaghetti with those mini sausages, sausage rolls, bangers and mash or toad-in-the-hole.)
I like to stuff peppers with them in various ways. One way is similar to a lasagna, no noodles but the sausage is mixed with Italian herbs, garlic, and cheeses (ricotta, etc.) then baked in marinara. A tofu sausage would work nicely there I'd think. Also I only use bulk sausage as I don't like casings.

What exactly do 'you' do with sausages outside of a hot dog, bangers and mash, sausage roll or toad-in-the-hole?

As you may have noticed, they don't really feature in my diet (even in vegan form), the same as burgers or similar. Other than toad-in-the-hole, I've never actually had or seen sausages used in things (outside of tinned spaghetti with those mini sausages, sausage rolls, bangers and mash or toad-in-the-hole.)

We make various pasta dishes with them. In fact, we're having one tonight that can be either with pasta or polenta. Some paellas use sausage. Sausages are used in various other rice dishes. Sausage can be used in soup and sandwiches. There are a multitude of cuisines that use sausage. Pick a country and Google the name plus sausage and you'll come up with something close to 100% of the time.

Last edited:
We make various pasta dishes with them. In fact, we're having one tonight that can be either with pasta or polenta. Some paellas use sausage. Sausages are used in various other rice dishes. Sausage can be used in soup and sandwiches. There are a multitude of cuisines that use sausage. Pick a country and Google the name plus sausage and you'll come up with something close to 100% of the time.
A lot of Cajun dishes include sausage too...

I think the whole idea of the challenges is to be creative. We are to think of things to do with the ingredient.

CD

Not an entry since no "breakfast" sausage is allowed, but here is some sausage gravy I made for biscuits and gravy. It's not really southern style because I used my husband's homemade Hungarian sausage.

20230207_121315.jpg

I do have a few ideas for challenge entries though.

I love the idea that we use sausage; as I understand, it could be classic sausages, like wieners, British bangers, kielebasa, bratwurst, frankfurters, chorizos, debrecziner,weisswurst.
Does this also include " cured sausages" like salami, fouete, chorizo seco, Chinese sausage?
Okay I've got it. Sausage, which can be made with pork, chicken, beef, seafood, duck, lamb, vegan protein, pretty much anything, EXCEPT breakfast sausage. Make your own, doesn't have to be stuffed into casing, or purchase. Can be fresh or dried.

Please see my first post about sausage being the next challenge.

Is that what she meant by "dried" sausage?

Yes, dried sausages have to have some kind of "cure" in them to prevent bacterial growth while they are air drying.

I would NOT suggest that anyone try curing and air drying their own sausage because of the time constraint and MORE IMPORTANTLY the fact that you must have done your research and must know what you are doing or there could be severe medical consequences, up to death even.

However, having noted the above, there are tons of commercially made cured and dried sausages, and as long as you practice normal home kitchen precautions/procedures making fresh sausages is pretty simple.

Last edited:
medtran49 - does the breakfast sausage exclusion apply to breakfast sausage links as well, or just the bulk/loose stuff, like Jimmy Dean/Bob Evans, etc?

Since there seems to be some confusion.

No breakfast sausage in any form.

Purchased or homemade sausage is fine.

Fresh or cured/air dried sausage is fine. I would strongly encourage anyone not familiar with the curing/drying process to purchase that type of sausage.

Stuffed or bulk sausage is fine.

Sausage can be made from animal and/or vegetable ingredients.

Sausage as part of a charcuterie board or similar is fine.

If you want to make a "stuffed" type sausage there are various options to casings if you don't have stuffing equipment.

1. Clear springroll wrappers that you soak in water before using.

2. Wrapping in plastic wrap, compressing by twisting, then poaching or using a sou vide to cook.

3. Filling a cooked tube pasta, like rigatoni, with a sausage mixture, then baking.

4. Making something like cabbage rolls or dolmades.

5. Using pastry of some type to wrap around sausage.

I'm sure there are other options for "casings." The above are just off the top of my head.

Oh my goodness! There are a million other options!

Indeed there are! I've used the meat from sausages in many different ways. For example, (as mentioned previously) it can be used to stuff vegetables or pasta. But there are are so many types of sausages which can be used in many ways - chorizo, for example is a very versatile sausage. There are vegan chorizo sausages available too.

Back
Top Bottom